Current project: Kitchen Countertop replacement

Have posted some pictures from the current project: replacing the existing ceramic tile countertop with laminate countertop. Reasons explained on the web page: Project: <http://mklange.cnc.net/KitchenCountertop.html HomePage: <http://mklange.cnc.net/

I have to ask. As laminate is available in 5 x 12 sheets, and you were doing a custom edge anyway, is there a particular reason for the mitre in the corner? Granted, they are a bit difficult to handle when sheets are that large, but there is a lot to be said for no seams. Installation, like you did, is easier in two pieces, but I hate seams. <G> Looks great though. (You busy in December?, We sure are up here. <G>)
Robatoy wrote:

Hmm, Doh! I hadn't considered making everything from a single sheet (i.e including the "L" shape with the single sheet). Need to keep that in mind for the future. That certainly would have solved the seam problem. However, given the difficulty I had installing with two pieces, it would have definitely complicated installation. Even in two pieces, the long piece was just about at the limit of what I could handle; as the day wore on, SWMBO's help was definitely needed to move the piece in and out for adjustment.

After yesterday, I can certainly understand why.

Yep, I've got the peninsula to complete. That one is going to require some outside help to install.

Buy a door skin (1/8" luan), usually about 8 bucks. Rip it into 3" strips and with some hotmelt make a template. Use tin snips to cut the strips to size.

I used 5X10 sheets for that very reason, no seams. Was working under my carport, got it ruff cut, set it aside to do something....the only gust of wind (that day) came up lifted the sheet enough to slide to the floor. Broke in the inside corner, $98 shot in about 2 seconds. But no seams are NICE. Had Ordered enough extra, just for this sorta stuff.