Current Count - As Of 10/18/05

Page 4 of 5

Schuster wrote:

It's an odd thing, maybe a difference in military services, but throughout Parris Island and ITR at LeJeune, the emphasis was on us doing the killing and the enemy doing the dying. You went in expecting to die and didn't. You wsere lucky. You're lucky you're able to believe that what was done there changed the world for the better.
It didn't, any more than Bush's contretemps, costing lives and money at a nasty rate, will change the Middle East for the better. In fact, it has destablized a already notoriously unstable area and will continue to make things worse, which is the reason a great many of us feel that the American presence there should be withdrawn as soon as feasible.
But if all you're worried about is the size of my penis...you DO have a problem.
Wrong, little pissant. They voted there last weekend. At an nasty rate. 63.5%.
Progress............Pussy!

Schuster wrote:

Last response to Schuster: yes, they voted in Iraq last week, and nolw they're investigating the results in some areas. My belief, though, is that the voting means nothing, that the country will break into three pieces within six months after our troops leaves, ethnic Kurds and two Islamic sects each forming a piece, and that battles will continue between them, and between others. The eventual result may well be another Saddass Insane, only worse.
I've known a few Rangers here and there, and none of them sounded like you. Maybe I was just fortunate in my earlier experiences, eh?
Charlie,
You believed that stuff about being a Ranger?
John E.

John Emmons wrote:

My experience over the years since being in Viet Nam has been that the people that were in the field under combat conditions do not rattle on about their experiences. Matter of fact, they do not say much about it at all. They generally keep it to themselves or if they say much about it, usually in private with others that also experienced similar conditions. After returning home, the ones I ran into that rattled on about their "tour of duty" and "how much of a bad ass they were" the wanta' be's or the ones that spent their time in the "rear with the gear" Many who want to talk trash about how great they were, how many KIA's they had to their credit, and what ever else they claim they did, are pretty transparent to those who actually fought there. As if they felt they had to impress others around them. Personally, I wanted to get on with my life and was thankful that I had survived. Politically, I finally learned the real reasons we were there. And it wasn't to save the poor peasants from their northern brothers or to keep the Viet-Cong from coming over here and fighting in the streets of the USA Do you notice how many times the US has gotten in the middle of civil wars in other countries? It's all about the money Corporal USMC '66-68 Forward Observer team 5th. MAR DIV 3rd. MAR DIV CC
,

CC wrote:

USMC, in 1961, and get the hell back into civilian life in '62. I almost went back into the reserves in '66 when I ran out of money for college, but...on my way to the armory to get sworn back in, I picked up a newspaper and found out they had called you guys up. I found a night job guarding a felt factory instead.
I have several buddies who did the 'Nam tour around the time you were there, most of them USMC, but several Army as well. None sound like Schuster, if that's his real name (he's using a hotmail address, so probably not). Most are grateful to be alive and in one piece, physically if not always emotionally, but, as another USMC Corporal said, sometimes he misses the feeling of total awareness, of being completely alive. He doesn't miss it enough to want to do the same things over again (especially as he approaches his 59th birthday), but it makes a formidable nostalgic feeling. We are good enough friends that I could pry his stories out of him, but he's never really volunteered a whole lot, so I just let it be. My first wife was one who liked to pick at scabs. I prefer to leave them be, let them heal as much as possible.
WWII vets and Korean War combat vets are the same way, IME. I've got one uncle, who was with an Army construction battalion throughout much of the South Pacific campaigning who at 84 is now fighting the Japs all over again.
Even after 60+ years, it can chew on participants.
Wars must be selected with somewhat more appreciation for the waste of lives, including the maimed and psychologically wounded, that results. They aren't, of course. Bush and Cheney are a pair, both aimed at the big bucks, and only one of them mentally competent--and it ain't Bush. Someone in government--Senate?--recently called him our Manchurian Candidate, and I believe they're very close to correct. Someone is pulling his strings, as he's not bright enough to walk and chew gum at the same time...especially in his high heeled boots.
Semper fi, Charlie Self Corporal, USMC HMR (L) 161 (I'm told my old outfit got chewed up pretty good in 'Nam--I know it no longer exists)
I'm with Charlie. I'm forever grateful to the US (and allies') military, as I was born in the fall of 1944 in Nazi-ocupied Holland, and grew up just north and west of the area where the battle for the Rhine bridges was fought just prior to my birth. I walked many times in the Airborne hikes performed yearly in and around Oosterbeek <http://www.airbornewandeltocht.nl/uk/index.html .
I now work in a research lab in the VA system. I'm not involved with direct care for veterans, but my boss was at a "study section" type meeting where the VA Research administrators were deciding on research proposals to study "gulf war syndrome". See <http://www.va.gov/pressrel/gwfs.htm .
Apparently one of 6 soldiers is suffering from this, and it is being taken very seriously. That plus the psychological effects of being there, which I can't really fathom, is enough for me to say let's get out of Iraq ASAP, if possible, honorably, preferably before the end of 2006.
I do recognize the rights of others to differ in opinion.
--
Best regards
Han

PLONK.
wrote:
>I'm just another blowhard that hasn't ever done anything >except flap his lips.....
Yo schustee.......... Mom said to get down off that soap box before you fall down, and to come in the house right now, to get your mouth washed out with soap.

Honest to fuck, man *walking with my hands open, up in the air* backwards....N E V E R even thought about your penis, dude. It' s Robatoy...NOT Schuster..
Robatoy wrote:

Did I mix attributions up? Sorry 'bout that. Schuster was the culprit, worrying more about the little things than most people do about the big things. It's a good thing we haven't got horses and mules in the mix yet, or this big ol' Brahma a cowboy up the road has.

He's just a troll, and unworthy of your time and effort to respond. Just killfile it and move on.
More soldiers died today.
They understood the mission.
U?
You never served, Tom.
Shut up!
You don't speak for us.
C Co, 2d Bn, 75th Inf. 1981-1990 The Best There Is Sua Sponte

Schuster wrote:

practical point of view. they are too busy with their feelings to think logically. What burns my butt is that the pacifists and their families are protected by the soldiers who's service protects all of their countrymen; not just those who agree with the mission. Pacifists should be made to stand in harm's way when the terrorists come back to the USA for more bloodshed. Or let them try to talk some sense into those blood thirsty bastards. Let's see how far they get by discussing their "feelings".
As always, patriotic young men (and women) will continue to serve our common good, even in the face of ridicule by the vocal whiners. My respect remains focused on those who serve, rather than those that bitch.
Dave
God bless you and your loved ones.
It sucks to watch those who give the last breath.
It's satisfying to see a government change.
I've been with both.
God Bless America.
C Co, 2d Bn, 75th Inf. 1981-1990 The Best There Is Sua Sponte

God Bless America and thank you for your service

You are correct.
Feelings get you killed in a conflict. I've been in a few firefights.
"lil Tommy ain't."
We protect pacifists...It's what we do.
Recognizing that I volunteered as a Ranger, fully knowing the hazards of my chosen profession, I will always endeavor to uphold the prestige, honor and high esprit de corps of my Ranger Regiment.
Acknowledging the fact that a Ranger is a more elite soldier who arrives at the cutting edge of battle by land, sea or air, I accept the fact that as a Ranger my country expects me to move further, faster and fight harder than any other soldier.
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight; I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be, one hundred percent and then some.
Gallantly will I show the world that I am a specially selected and well-trained soldier. My courtesy to superior officers, neatness of dress and care of equipment shall set the example for others to follow.
Energetically will I meet the enemies of my country. I shall defeat them on the field of battle for I am better trained and will fight with all my might. Surrender is not a Ranger word. I will never leave a fallen comrade to fall into the hands of the enemy, and under no circumstances will I ever embarrass my country.
Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight on to the Ranger objective and complete the mission, though I be the lone survivor.
Rangers Lead The Way.
C Co, 2d Bn, 75th Inf. 1981-1990 The Best There Is Sua Sponte

And at least they are enough smart to make an about U turn after being fool by the neo-cons!