Curious... Question about softwood lumber grades...

Page 2 of 2

Thanks for the clarification on the "fir" designation... In my original post, I was assuming (I now realize, wrongly) that "fir" necessarily meant, Douglas Fir.
Ken

Go to the local photocopier importer. The shipping pallets are often made of hardwood, Oak I believe. The palllet corner supports are often a 4" x 4" Oak block. The rest of the Oak pallet is also useful. They will only be too glad to let you take away their pallets. If not try other warehouse type businesses that have shipping pallets and ask them if any is made of hardwood. Again they are only to happy to give them away.