Curious about shop space

I think I'm a few years behind ya, Charlie.. A little over 2 months before I can get ol' farts money, if they don't run out first..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 11:27:23 +0300, "Rick Samuel"

Hardest part was probably when I started asking the kids to move stuff for me because they heal faster..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

I hear you. I've started building "helpers" to make it easier to move stuff around the shop. I suspect you've already seen my panel/sheet cart (photos at link below)...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

20' x 50' is justabout right for a small commercial shop. If you do a lot of flat stuff, like countertops, that won't do.
I have 1500 sqft and I have to walk around things to go through the shop. The design is very basic 30x50 and it's amazing how the space just disappears.
ron wrote:

You sucketh!

Guess I better keep _my_ mouth shut then, eh? :)
Yes. I wouldn't call these "big", but here's mine:

This is all super clean for me. When I can't stand it anymore, I move stuff to outbuildings. People who are neater than I am are always offering me the stuff they don't want to have cluttering up THEIR shops. At age 69, I am finally starting to say "no", but the damage has already been done.
Just Google "my shop" and see what others do----
Pete Stanaitis ------------------------------
ron wrote: <snip> I

ron wrote:

More or less. My shop is 50'x50' and is used for prototyping and production of solar heating panels that are typically either 4'x6' or 8'x6', so there's a need for machining, assembly, finishing, and packing sizable objects.
My problem hasn't so much been that I keep finding stuff to take up the room as that I keep building new tools and shop accessories to make the work easier - and I've discovered that there's a point of diminishing returns beyond which each new labor-saving accessory reduces the available space so as to make the job less easy.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Oh boy, do I know what you mean. Countertops are notoriously flat, big and awkward and in many cases need to be worked on from all angles. Just to make the strips which are then used in the fabrication process. Too floppy for unsupported transport between the table saw and the shaper, that combo alone 8 x 24. And, as with all horizontal surfaces, quickly covered in sanders, boxes, sinks, 30 x 144" sheet inventories which have to be stored flat and 4 x 8' stock//and then rolls of laminate.... almost 2000 sq ft and all that's left is a narrow path to the coffee machine. And I haven't even mentioned the General Gorilla yet.
But... there's a salmon swimming in Georgian Bay which doesn't have a clue that the next item it bites into has a line attached to a Robbie at the other end. Light the Q, food is coming. I am soooooooooo outta here.
*poof*
Robatoy wrote:

What time is dinner?
I'll bring desert, got an apple pie, vanilla ice cream, and some old cheddar.
/me loads cooler and hops in the car.
--
Froz...

Google "My Workshop" (use the quotes!)