Curious about ebay

Page 1 of 3

I don't do much with ebay, buying or selling, and I don't have any kind of monetary account with them.
Every week, I'd guess I average 60 scams about my PayPal or Ebay accounts being screwed up. I don't have accounts with either, of course.
It is relentless, and, for whatever reason, AOL's spam filters don't catch them.
I'm basically just curious as to whether or not ebay itself has any kind of active program against this sort of activity. It sure isn't effective, if they do.
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

Since it's third parties who are doing the spamming/phishing, eBay has no control whatsoever over it.
Just imagine, if you will, what it's like if you run a mail server or two ... all this crap goes to _every_ e-mail address on the servers. It's past the point where a small company can afford the bandwidth/cpu cycles to keep up with it.
Another interesting thing is to take a look at just one day of a server's logs ... there's a war going on that you never hear about, mostly emanating from the Pacific Rim/China and the old Eastern Bloc countries.
I'd gladly supply the rope to hang a few of these idiots in the public square if you can catch'em.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/12/05

Right. They can do what's called "whack-a-mole" and react to each one, or they can try to educate their customers that they'll never send mail to verify accounts.

Well, they can always hire a consultant to set up spamassassin and or RBL checking for them...

I block entire continents these days, for that reason.

I'll supply the marksmanship and ammunition. Standing/unlimited offer.
On 7/14/2005 1:39 PM Dave Hinz mumbled something about the following:

Even with RBLs and spamassassin, a lot of these get through just fine. Too many kiddies put up linux boxes with wide open SMTP relays and spammers find these as fast as they show up. I use 8 different RBLs, including maintaining one of my own, and I still get an avg of 5-10 spam emails a day coming through my mail server.

Blocking entire continents only prevents them from sending directly to you. They still get through those open SMTP relays that show up daily.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7
Swingman wrote:

Seems to me that there should be some kind of internaitonal cooperation on catching, and punishing, these people. I don't see anyone who is very bright falling for their cons, but the damned things are super annoying, almost as annoying as the new variants on the Nigerian scam.
Charlie Self wrote:

Best idea I've seen is a law that penalizes the spammers $1.00 for each offense. That means for each contact: send a million, spend a million. Of course we need some leverage with ISPs to uncover them.
Bob
Bob Schmall wrote: ...

Bigger problem is leverage w/ home jurisdiction...
On 7/14/2005 1:41 PM Charlie Self mumbled something about the following:

Ebay and Paypal (who is owned by Ebay) have a team that investigates these fraudulent sites, but only if they're alerted to them. Since very few people forward these emails to Ebay and Paypal, they are unaware that a new fraud site has shown up. When you get one of these, forward the email, headers and all to snipped-for-privacy@paypal.com
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

John Emmons wrote:

Better to give them a choice. Duct tape their gonads to the parapet on a 10 story building, then hang them over the parapet wall. Their choice as to what they do. Pull the tape or hang their in agony forever.
Puts new meaning into the phrase, "How they hanging?"

Remind me to never get on your bad side, Charlie. ;-)

Indeed.
--

Bill

Charlie Self wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@ebay.com
Don't expect results--they're swamped with these things.
Bob
It's getting worse. I'm not usre if you're familiar with craigslist but here in the SF bay area and other regions around the us it's a very popular free classifieds site. They now have scammers.
I placed a few pieces on there for sale. Within an hour I recieved 3 responses, all of them scams, all the same scam. They wanted to send me a money order or cahsiers check and they have their own shipper. It seemed suspicious so I check around for fraud alerts and there it was. In fact one of the samples was verbatim to one of the emails I recieved. The basics are that they send you a cashiers check or money order that you bank will accept but will later reject once they find its fake. By that time you have already shipped the product.
In an added twist, they sometimes claim they have a "client" that is willing to pay more than you are asking. In order to expidite, they have the client send you the cashiers chek or money order directly and ask you to send them the difference.
What I don't understand is why anyone would ship something before a "certified" check actually clears? I don't mean after it's been deposited, I mean after it clears and the actual money is in your account. Or else simply call the issuing bank and confirm the authenticity of the check and the funds.
The "I'll pay you more than the asking price if you'll send me back the extra money" is my favorite.
I used that one myself on a guy who tried to scam me on a video camera I wanted to buy. After confirming with several sources that he was scamming me I offered to pay him twice what he wanted for the camera if he'd send me the balance in cash...never heard back from him again...strange that.
John Emmons

A lot of people think that a certified or cashier's check is like gold and is going to clear. The will if they are not counterfiet.

Do you have change of a $40 bill? Just give me three tens and wi'll call it even. Greed is a wonderful motivator.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I got's three twelves and a four I'll e-mail... :)
I'll give you fourteen threes - you'll make a $2 profit!
--Steve
Duane Bozarth wrote:

Check out <http://www.scamorama.com/
The only reason these thieves are out there is that people are more greedy than they are smart.
djb
SonomaProducts.com Wrote: > It's getting worse. I'm not usre if you're familiar with craigslist but

> me

This very thing happened to my wife and me. I got a really wierd vibe from the potential buyer and told him I didn't want to sell the him our brand new $1200.00 Asko washing machine. He literally flipped out on me on the phone. I just thought I crossed paths with a damaged soul but the above quote is identicle to what we experienced on Craigslist. We have sold many things on Craigslist before with no problem, I guess as with everything else in life you just need to really pay attention to that little voice within.
--
Matisse

And where was the ship-to address? Unless it was some bogus address, it shouldn't be all the difficult for authorities to track to who was using it even if it was a rented postal mail box. Must have been something more elaborate than that to evade detection.