Curing Oil Based Poly

Does it speed up the curing process by exposing to sunlight (UV radiation)? Will it hurt if I do this?
On 7 May 2007 08:36:58 -0700, Todd the wood junkie

UV ids the enemy of finishes - speeds yellowing/oxidation

Yes. Works fine for the odd utilitarian piece, leaving them out in direct sun for a few hours at a time. Sure helps cook the solvents out of the finish, and makes pieces suitable for indoors use in a few sunny days, max.
Todd the wood junkie wrote:

It "cures" by evaporation. Putting it in the sun heats it and speeds evaporation. Doing so could also create bubbles. I'd not do it.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

Polyurethane is a reactive finish that "cures" by reacting with oxygen causing a chemical change. It's the reason that once "cured" it can't be redissolved. Sunlight will speed up the evaporation of the "carrier" but that's about it.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Todd the wood junkie wrote:
> Does it speed up the curing process by exposing to sunlight (UV > radiation)? Will it hurt if I do this?
UV is not your friend.
Heat speeds up the solvent evaporation process, but not necessarily the curing process.
Assuming it is late spring and temps are getting warm in your area, apply poly in the shade of the late morning-early afternoon time frame.
Should be skin hard by the time the dew arrives.
Lew
Mon, May 7, 2007, 8:36am (EDT-3) of_the snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Toddthewoodjunkie) doth mumble: <snip> Will it hurt if I do this?
If it's real heavy, yes.
By the way, how did you figure on getting the sun toshine on every side, turntable?