Curing Black Walnut

I have some black walnut trees that I am going to cut down, and was wondering the best way to cure them? Saw mill before or after drying? Thanks Eric

Reply to
eric

Hi Eric,

Saw them green, seal the ends, and air dry them for a couple of years.

Be sure to check out how to do it, you can ruin a lot of valuable lumber otherwise.

Good Luck,

Old Guy

Reply to
Old guy

Yes, but saw them first.

Reply to
Wade Lippman

For furniture building, a log length of 54 inches is about right; for bowl turning, you'll want to make 'em 20 inches instead. Then when you saw planks or split billets, do it with the end use in mind (you might want a quarter log intact if you like massive turnings, or split out slender sticks if your aspirations include greenwood chairs). Most commercial lumber is

4/4 so you open new opportunities if you make some 5/4 or 8/4 boards.

Probably you want to quarter the log before sawing boards.

The usual rules of lumber drying all apply, of course; seal the endgrain with paint or paraffin, use lots of sticks between boards for air circulation. and occasionally restack the wood. After its in rough-board form, start reading.

Maybe the USDA Wood Handbook is a good start

Reply to
whit3rd