Cure/Drying time for wiping poly?

How long should I wait between coats for a 1:1 Poly/Mineral spirits mixed, wiped on?

Sorry if this is an obvious question. Did a google search, and while I didn't find an answer like "x hours between coats", I found plenty of posts complaining about long drying time. Beginning to wonder if I thinned it too much.

TIA

Reply to
Keith Carlson

It doesn't indicate on the can? If it does keep in mind that the time is usually stated for 70 Degrees F. Colder and it takes longer, warmer and less.

Reply to
Mike G

Longer than unthinned.

If you think you over thinned it, get a clean, lint free rag and wipe it down again.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Obvious answer - read the label.

If that doesn't tell you, call the manufacturer's 1-800s number, also on the label.

Well, here's a not-so-obvious fact: I don't *have* the label; this stuff was transferred to a different can some time ago when the original got mangled. I had hoped it would be a quick, easy question for most anyone on this NG.

If you don't care, why the hell bother replying?

Reply to
Keith Carlson

Well, I don't have the original can, and I was wondering if I could get 2 coats on today. Ended up just waiting until it was nearly dry to the touch. Guess I'll stop at the store on the way home tomorrow and have a look at a new can. Thanks anyway.

Reply to
Keith Carlson

less than 3 1/2 hours unless you aren't using it within the temp/humidity guidlines. even at 66 degrees, it'll be ready in less than 4 hours.

dave

Keith Carls> How long should I wait between coats for a 1:1 Poly/Mineral spirits mixed, > wiped on?

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Actually I don't think that is true. A thinned varnish, an oil, carrier, resin mix, means a thinner coat per application and a thinner coat of any finish will cure faster then a thick one. This is especially true of a finish containing a curing oil.

Reply to
Mike G

I've had over-thinned poly sit for way too long on a surface. After a rewipe, it dried nicely, and lint-free.

I should have tossed a DAHMKIT onto the end of my comment.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .