Cummins Wood Lathe

Came home from an auction with a clean looking Cummins Benchtop Wood Lathe, model #3253 (1/2 HP, 40" between centers, 14" swing) for $25. After reading some reviews, I'm not sure whether I got a good deal yet or not, but it seemed too good to pass up at the time. I don't have any lathe gouges yet, but I'll be on the lookout for some. --Definitely carbide-less ones, for the time being; I only have a lathe now because it fell in my lap... In fact, I'm not even 100% sure whether this is a *real* lathe. The person doing the selling got my attention ("hooked me") when he suggested making tool handles...
Work on my renovation project continues. Almost time to apply the Zinsser 123. It's on sale this week at Menards.
Bill
Bill wrote:

Cost-wise, I think I'll need 4 or 5 lathes-worth of the Zins.... ; )

Bill, take a look at the Benjamin's Best tools from Penn State and/or Peachtree. I bought a few of these as learning tools for my son, and think they are pretty decent for the money.

Roy wrote:

Roy,
Thank you very much!
Bill

Consider the Harbor Freight High Speed steel 8 piece lathe chisel set. OK for spindle turning. Couple roughing gouges, one spindle gouge, couple scr apers, couple skews. Good HSS. Good for learning to sharpen lathe tools. You would need to add a bowl gouge for a complete turning set.
http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-high-speed-steel-wood-lathe-chisel-set -69723.html
On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 12:57:40 AM UTC-5, Bill wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

spindle turning. Couple roughing gouges, one spindle gouge, couple scrapers, couple skews. Good HSS. Good for learning to sharpen lathe tools. You would need to add a bowl gouge for a complete turning set.

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-high-speed-steel-wood-lathe-chisel-set-69723.html

Thank you for your suggestion! That was one of the first sets I looked at online. The reviews leave some doubt as to the quality of the steel, but they are about half the price of the other recommended set (Benjamin's Best). I will investigate/compare more before I click buy. Sometimes people post reviews at LumberJocks.com too. I'll be checking there just to learn a little more.
Bill
Bill wrote:

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-high-speed-steel-wood-lathe-chisel-set-69723.html

Russell,
The set you mentioned gets pretty darn good reviews: http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/product/2897
One of the "comments" on the review above even included a link to comparisons of metalurgical properties between various turning gouges.
Bill
On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 20:14:39 -0400, Bill wrote:

I bought that set years ago and my experience agrees with the review mentioned above. I did turn a new set of handles for the ones I used a lot.
carrying a cross.