crown mouldings

This is New to me,but going to try,do you need a compound miter saw to cut crown mouldings or just use 45 and block the bottom to fit square to back and bottom of miter saw,thought I'd better ask before I have a pill of 2' pieces all over the floor,any an all help will be good I delete previous posting,I hope my miter saw skills are better than my computer
andy wrote:

If you are using the upside down method of cut, you do not need a compound miter saw. But check your corners as they may not be true 90 degree angles.
Tom in KY, there are crooked houses everywhere.
I bought a tool called an angle divisor at Menard's for about ten bucks that helps in measuring such. It actually seems pretty accurate or at least close enough for that kind of measuring. The link below is what it looks like and you can check your local stores if interested. --- Steve
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?idf588

Steven L Umbach wrote:

Yep,
I've got a Starrett ProSite Protractor 505A 12. The link below will wrap and probably not work.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)"8013
It gives me the angle of the corner and the miter angle.
Tom in KY, cool tool accumulator.
I am putting that on my Christmas list for next year! --- Steve

(Amazon.com product link shortened)"8013
On 14 Jan 2006 18:32:47 -0800, "Squarei4dtoolguy"

Watch this:
<(Amazon.com product link shortened)"8013>
If you put a long link between angle brackets, "<>", you'll beat the wrap.
I second the Starrett protractor for carpentry, but don't forget to cope the inside corners!
Barry