Crown moulding: what is the rule of thumb for sizing it to a room?

Thanks, Dave. I was goofing around on that one but not so in my initial reply to your question.
Palladio goes into exquisite (some would say, excruciating) detail on the relationship of the entablature to the base. His discussion is particularly about columns but your wall is, in fact, a column for the purposes of the discussion.
What looks good to us is not something that springs, unbidden, from our innards but is, in fact, a response to a transmitted paradigm, communicated to us over literally thousands of years of architectural history.
We are the recipients of a shared historical sensibility in the regard of architectural elements and their balance. "What seems right", is not, as some have expressed, a matter of personal whim, but is the result of an osmotic transference from the great good of public architecture in the past to our current, I would say weakened, state as thinkers within a tradition.
It may seem, on the face of it, to be a wasteful exercise, this study of our architectural antecedents but, I assure you it is not.
Even in that most venal expression of detail, the clamshell molding, there is a wealth of history, albeit criminally misunderstood.
Proportion is both art and science. Witness the discipline imposed on Western architectural thought by the concept of the Golden Mean. We know that it works, as it holds sway throughout our culture, from the sizing of movie screens to the proportions of the credit cards we often use to gain access to them.
If Palladio is a point of reference, does that not beg the question of his own referents?
Certainly to the Romans, but did they not merely ape and modify the Greeks?
Beyond the Greeks?
Some scholars argue that there must be an organic underpinning to our architectural lineage. They say that early public architecture mimed the proportions of certain trees. I wonder.
Shortly after assuming the upright posture, man built shelters. As his abilities grew, so did his buildings. When he had achieved a level of society beyond that of the merely familial, he engaged in public architecture. I would argue that the original concepts of proportionality are organic, but not based on trees, so much as on man, himself. Look at the famous drawing of Leonardo DaVinci and the proportions of his Man. Take those proportions and apply them to those expressed in the concepts of Palladio, who was really only a codifier of historical precedent.
I know, you just wanted to know a "rule of thumb" regarding the relationship of your existing baseboard to your proposed crown molding. "Rule of Thumb" might turn out to be not such a bad expression of the problem. Not merely "rule of thumb" but the relationship between head (capo) and foot (pedestal).
Of course, we all rush headlong through that which does not seem so involving, to get to that which seems so much to be so but, isn't life more interesting when "why" is not merely a homonym for the twenty fifth letter of the alphabet?
βœ–
Having read your every word, I feel entitled to an honorary degree in ...well...SOMETHING! Archie texture? Damn, you've got a way with words. Everybody else: step away from your keyboards!
So...I should hang the larger crown? :)
dave
Tom Watson wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
Tue, Sep 30, 2003, 10:51am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Patrick Olguin) says: <snip of a response to BAD>
I just wish to Hell you'd learn to start giving some details in your responses.
JOAT If history repeats itself, I should think we can expect the same thing again. - Terry Venables
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 30 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/SOMETUNESILIKE /
Add pictures here
βœ–
what can I say but :) You've definitely got a way with words, and the patience to put 'em "out there". I'm waiting for a local library to be built, actually. Every time I drive by it, I think it'll open any day. But, hey this is San Jose, where everything takes too long to build, esp the Highway 87 improvements. sigh...when they open I'll take a peek. I'll tell them you've sent me for a book on proportions. no, not Biblical proportions; just everyday proportions...
I must have been REALLY cranky by the time I responded to you previous post! My bad! that's as close as I gonna approach an apology...
dave
Patrick Olguin wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
Bay Area Dave wrote:

C'mon Dave, Spent a bit of time in San Jose in the seventies and they had many libraries (I recall three at least). There was even a huge bridge and ramps over the freeway that went nowhere (so I thought at the time). You can find a library in the area if you try. Musing on the seventies, I wonder if "The Saint James Infirmary" is still in Mt. View or if Bobby MaGee's is still there out towards Gilroy. Committed major fun and sins in both. Still tryin' to sin, Hank
Add pictures here
βœ–
yeah, yeah, yeah, and if a tree falls in the forest with no one around, does it make a sound? Tom, you've should go build some cabinets. or is your sig line a fraud? You, also cannot resist the temptation to join the fray, huh? sigh...
dave
Tom Watson wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

snip
Wow dave,,,someone shit in your shoes today?
seems to me, all you ever do is post some silly question, then bitch about 99% of the freaking replies!!!
do us all a favor, cross your legs, pinch your nose shut and fart. perhaps that way you can clear your mind.
βœ–
On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:39:40 -0400, Tom Watson

He's close there. I'm donating my body to science fiction.
-- Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ---- --Unknown
Add pictures here
βœ–

LOL! Ol' BAD needs to lighten up.
-Jack
Add pictures here
βœ–
JackD wrote:

Jeez Jack, just what planet are you from. We all know, it's all about TGD.

Very good idea. Don't expect TGD to fall all over his self thanking you though.
Heh, heh, heh...
UA100
Add pictures here
βœ–
BEFORE I read your sophomoric post here, I'd already thanked Jack. I'm disappointed in you Keith. I know you are the brightest bulb on the string, but I didn't think you'd make such a faulty prediction of my behavior. Maybe we aren't the soul mates you thought we were? BTW, I'm gonna be pissed if I forget to get my beer out of the freezer...bye!
dave
Unisaw A100 wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
let me amend this to read "I know you areN'T the brightest bulb..." (damned keyboard! :) )
dave
Bay Area Dave wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
Puckering Tail Gunner Dave:

Well thank you Dave. That is very kind of you. Maybe your personality disorder wasn't as bad as I thought.
UA100, back with a whole new string of writing talent...
Add pictures here
βœ–

Well before you go getting a big head and all, don't forget - you're still not funny.
Add pictures here
βœ–
PM6564 wrote:

Thanks Steve. I was just about to forget all about that. His Shrillness though won't let me.
UA100
Add pictures here
βœ–
Tail Gunner Dave wrote:

One thing you can say for sure, he sure do paint a pitcher with werds, even if they aren't/weren't his to begin with.
UA100
Add pictures here
βœ–
Keith,
You are at your most eloquent when you reply with a blank message.
dave
Unisaw A100 wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–

TGD seems to think we actually give a sh*t. Maybe if I post a picture of me shrugging....
Groggy (who's very happy with his 4" starrett square TYVM)
So, who *are* these mystery "admirers" of his?
Add pictures here
βœ–
Groggy wrote:

Pam Needsaminder, Man In The Doorway, Puppy Wizard. Pretty much anyone who can match his signal to noise ratio.
UA100, Starrett owner...
Add pictures here
βœ–
speaking of bandwidth; you've taken up your share today with nary a woodworking-related response. Fire your writers; you've lost your comic touch. Let's chat again when you hire fresh talent.
dave
Unisaw A100 wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–