Crown moulding "ends"

I'm installing crown moulding in the dining room which has an opening between the dining room and the kitchen. The opening goes right up to the ceiling so I was wondering how I could "end" the moulding. I do not want to install crown in the kitchen so does anyone have any recommendations where it should end and how the end should look? Should I end it between the 2 walls (5" space) or should I make a regular corner into the kitchen and end it about 12" in?

kitchen wall ________________ | | 5" ________________|

dining room wall

Reply to
Rob

Maybe a decorative block to end it.. a square piece with a flower or something carved into it, and run the crown into that.

Reply to
js

On 26 Sep 2003, Rob spake unto rec.woodworking:

Make a mitered outside corner at each side of the doorway opening, or make outside corners that run into the opening, and stop them with another ouside miter before entering the kitchen. You'll have to glue the small piece that makes the final outside corner, it will likely split if you try to nail it.

Reply to
Scott Cramer

Reply to
John Quinn

I think 1 inch in or so would look better.

Reply to
vmtw

Reply to
Phisherman

You can put what I think is called a return on it. Make an "outside" miter and then cut it at 90 degrees so you have a little triangle--okay. Let's try this again.

Let's say you're feeding the molding into your miter saw. Turn the blade to the side 45 degrees and make a cut all the way through the molding. Feed the molding through one blade width, then make another cut at 90 degrees. You should have a triangle-shaped piece of molding such that the 45 degree cut and the 90 degree cut meet at the bottom (top) of the molding.

Now, just make an outside miter right where you want to end the molding and take your triangle and stick it in there. The crown molding essentially "returns" into the wall.

Experts may argue, and if I were you, I'd listen to them. This method worked for me, though. This treatment is also common for fireplace mantels, shelves, etc.

Hope this helps.

-Phil Crow

P.S. You are COPING all your corners, right?

Reply to
Phil Crow

I think it would look better to build the header.

#################### Keep the whole world singing. . . Dan G (remove the 7)

Reply to
Dan G