Crown molding w/ popcorn ceiling?

Page 1 of 2

Any more difficult than a flat ceiling?

er smooth ceiling, not flat.

Mark the position of the crown on the ceiling relative to the wall. Measure that distance and scrape the popcorn. Believe me, I've been there.
Dave in Houston
On 9/19/10 1:14 PM, Dave In Texas wrote:

This is the correct way. Much easier and more correct looking than caulk. When I do crown, I put strips of blue tape up at the correct spacing from the wall. Scraping off the popcorn will produce a nice line at the correct spacing.
--

-MIKE-

I can see myself scraping too much in areas and having gaps. ?
On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 13:08:58 -0700 (PDT), GarageWoodworks

When you do it, it's usually removed entirely, from all areas. Mud and sand any flaws before priming (very important) and painting.
-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.

I suppose I was lucky; I had a flexible blade that happened to be the correct width leaving a uniform 1/8 inch between texture and crown (or cove in my case).
Dave in Houston

Drag your scraper, don't push it. The popcorn should come off very easily.

.
Scraping off _too_ much popcorn finish...? Umm, that's not possible. When it's all gone, that's just enough. The stuff is an abomination. Popcorn is the builder's eraser - it hides a multitude of sins. The very fact that the subject comes up in a woodworking group makes me shudder.

Not really. You just will need to run a bead of caulk around the edge, and that will be more difficult than a smooth ceiling.
Jim in NC

I got rid of the popcorn crap in my house. Crown molding is an elegant touch that is screwed up by a seriously marred ceiling with all those little bubbles on it.
Wet, scrape, wipe wet, prime, paint, admire. Worth the effort.

Sounds very appealing. And messy. I need to give this serious thought.
On 9/19/10 4:08 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

Rip down any put up new drywall, start fresh.
--
Froz...

..
I completely agree. BTDT a dozen or more times. One house I bought had stalactites 3-5" long hanging from the dining room ceiling. Just awful. Brought out my Gransfors, one guy carrying slabs out, then two of us new drywall on the ceiling. Done in a day, not including mud. Another had popcorn and I sprayed it with an airless, looked good and fresh....a month later, I tore it down too.

Plan on about 8 to 10 man hours per 100 square feet. That is if you are fast.
Jim in NC
On 9/19/10 3:08 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

Don't count it out until you give it a try. Not all that stuff is the same. There's a good chance that it will fall right off with a putty knife. If it's the loose stuff, you can have the knife in one hand and the shop vac in the other to minimize clean up.
--

-MIKE-

Was looking for a house to buy in Rockville, MD 30 years ago and the realtor meets us for a showing of a place with the owners at home (not the best circumstances). She, the realtor, meets us at the curb and tells us that the ceiling in the LR and DR are kind of unique but we should keep in mind that we could make a sale provisional on something else being done. About this time the owner comes out the front door so she has no time to tell us more.
Guy had done the LR and DR ceilings in Stalactites! Yes, like in a cave. Some of these things were hanging low enough that a six footer would have been getting a gashed head. Wife and I couldn't look at each other as we Knew we'd bust out laughing. Some discussion was held in the LR and I kept finding my gaze wandering up to the ceiling ... It wasn't the 'deal breaker', but it sure was entertaining. Realtor told us they'd tried in vain to get the owner to put the ceilings back to something normal.

Lol. Too funny!

Yes, my wife told me it was. She did 99% of it. Painting the popcorn is a PITA also. It may be better with light diffusion or sound, or something, but IMO, it look chap and tacky compared to a plain white, smooth ceiling.
She sprayed it with water and a few drops of detergent, scraped, then with a wet sponge wiped any residue left.
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

------------------------------------ Recently one of the DIY shows went thru this process.
Covered the floor with plastic and went to work.
IMHO, it's the kind of job you sub out.
Lew