Crown molding & modern design houses

I have a house that was built about 3 years ago and is definitely a "modern" design with high ceilings, ceilings of slightly different heights, and in the dining room, a tiered, "tray" ceiling. Now, I like modern styling and like crown molding. What I was wondering (trying to visualize) is whether or not crown molding would look funny in my house. If not, any suggestions on the dining room (with its tiered, tray ceiling)?
TIA
Likely it would look funny. However, you are the best judge of that. But a length or two and put it up with some carpet tape. Then stand back and take a look.
-Jack.

"modern"
suggestions
I sell lumber and millwork for a living. Check with your local millwork supplier and ask to see some of the new profiles of crown moulding that address the "tray"or "panned" ceiling issue. The top is rounded where it meets the ceiling. Also consider stacking 2 or 3 pieces of moulding to give you a massive crown look, provided your ceilings are high enough.
My wife builds houses like yours and she puts crown in most of them. There may be some pictures of the crown in trays on the Centex web site.
Go for the crown. High ceilings beg for it. And that tray ceiling in the dining room,put it there too. Like the other guy said, if your ceilings are high enough, go for massive multiple piece crown. I did some seven piece crown a few years ago. In the try ceiling you might want to use something smaller. You can even pull it down and run rope lighting inside the crown (if you can get a wire to it.). Check out some crowns here: http://www.wholesalehardwoodint.com There are at least three pages there.
Kevin
Also try Outwoater. I have bought some of their plastic molded stuff at less than $1 foot and it looks great!! MUCH better than the plaster I am used to seeing.
On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 06:44:36 -0500, "Kevin L. Bowling"