Crown Molding ??

does anyone know the going install rate for 4 1/2" oak stained crown molding? Approx. 50 linear feet in a bathroom. 4 inside corners and 2 caps

thanks Rich

Reply to
EvoDawg

Rich:

The job is too small to put a per foot price on it. Figure out what you should be making an hr., put on something for Mom and the kids and bid it that way.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Just as a ball park guide, roughly $2/LF, unstained, here in Houston.

Reply to
Swingman

Ouch, Swing. $2 lf? I could see that though if was paint grade (caulk/putty as needed) and it was small enough to nest on the saw.

I am your neighbor in San Antonio, and I get anywhere from $3 to $5 depending on the difficulty and size of the installation of crown. I would think this one would be on the higher end because of the size and the fact it is prefinished hardwood. Cuts/copes/fits all have to be just about perfect.

The last big crown job I did in Houston I was low bidder on the big stuff and got it at $4.75 for stain grade, no caulk (or putty except for nail holes) joints in the LinkWood Terrace area outside of Memorial. No finish, just installation.

But you do have to bid those small jobs up... they will eat you alive.

Of course, he didn't say this, but if you are doing it for a buddy, we all know the standard barter here in TX at this time of year is cold beer and BBQ. Sometimes after that tab it winds up cheaper to just to pay someone outright!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

$2 for stain grade crown?

Wow...

Can I sub out some Connecticut jobs to you?

Reply to
Ba r r y

Reply to
Phisherman

I'd charge you for a day, which would be $450.00.

I know it sounds alike a lot but you have to figure that by the time I set up, do the work, break down and leave - I won't have enough day left to sell to anybody else.

Now, I'm quoting you shop/road rate for a cabinetmaker.

If I was still jobbing out finish carpentry, I'd still charge you for a day but it would only be about $270.00 to $320.00.

You want to make sure that you get a good mechanic to do this kind of prefinished work. Kitchen guys are used to it but make sure that you are getting a guy who doesn't own a caulk gun or a piece of the local plastic wood concession.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

My per foot prices are based on trimming an entire house for a customer who may pay me for a number of houses each year. I know that a job like you describe will take me more time than my per foot price will pay. If I'm going to go to do a small project like this, I try to look at the time involved and base the per hour rate on what I would make if I was on a more normal (for me) job. I may add a little to that rate depending on the situation.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike

thanks all for the feed back

Rich

Reply to
EvoDawg

I'll be happy to post the invoice ... It's what I paid, just this past month, to _install_ (the OP's question) two piece CM in the master bath in new residential construction that just went on the market for $725K.

Bring'em on down and I'll be glad to negotiate the price for you. :)

But don't forget, we have a different class of "carpenter" down here. Most come from a desert land, sans wood, and you've got to be able to communicate with them ... which often carries a large penalty if you can't. Additionally, you must learn to deal with a firmly ingrained belief that "caulk" is their salvation, and "coping", a totally alien concept, is only to be attempted on the supervisor's insistence, and then only until he turns his back.

To tell the truth, I thought it was bit high, but since it was an afterthought on my part and a small job, I let it go.

Reply to
Swingman

I'll be mailing them, postage due!

We have Texicans, too! They work their ass off as framers, roofers, and insulators, but they haven moved in to the finish or licensed worlds all that much... yet.

The moniker isn't meant to be a slam on Texans. Whenever you ask one of these guys where he's from, it's "Texas".

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Well watch out when they do because they will under bid everything and your jobs will go away. That's what has happened in California and it's spreading to the northeast and midwest. The public here is finally getting smart on their work quality. I get calls all the time to fix, Jose and Hose B jobs.

Rich

Reply to
EvoDawg