crosscut sled construction

Hiya group;
I'm about to construct a crosscut sled for my table saw, for use in constructing jewelry and keepsake boxes, and humidors. I want a lightweight sled that I'll use to crosscut 4/4 or less by 48" boards to precise length, and square.
The question I have is this: What's the best base to use? Is thicker better? Is 1/4" baltic birch adequate? Use 1/2 " baltic birch? Is there any difference?
Thanks a heap, -Zz
Zz Yzx wrote:
> I'm about to construct a crosscut sled for my table saw, for use in > constructing jewelry and keepsake boxes, and humidors. I want a > lightweight sled that I'll use to crosscut 4/4 or less by 48" boards > to precise length, and square. > > The question I have is this: What's the best base to use? Is thicker > better?
I use 3/4, 13 ply birch, for base and both front and back "fences".
It allows me to tack battens in place for specific angle cuts.
And yes, it is a heavy beast, but it is also stable.
Have fun.
Lew
Zz Yzx wrote:

mine is 1/4" 2 sided melamine, with fence and runners from baltic birch ply.
the fence is a box tube, with the face taller than the top to clamp stuff to.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

*One*-quarter?? Is that a typo?
--
Regards,
I'm on my 7th and favorite sled.

The 1/2" seems to be a nice compromise. The 1/4" would just be too flexy in my opinion.
You will end up with several in time and they will all serve a special purpose.
Zz Yzx wrote:

Zz Yzx wrote:

I would think the runner might almost be the most important part of a crosscut sled. Slop in the miter slot is what kills a home made sled, wouldn't you say.
ger wrote:

Which is a good reason for building a sled with TWO runners that spans the saw blade.
--
It's turtles, all the way down