Crosscut Saws

I've just gotta ask... how is "get a chainsaw", with no attendant advice on safety, usage or even brand recommendations, somehow "safer" than giving advice about the quality of a hand saw. Lots of accidents with chain saws, far fewer that I've heard of with a handsaw- and what accidents there are are likely less deadly.

That's rediculous. It's like saying that a guy who wants advice on good hand planes should go piss up a rope because he didn't care to hear jointer reviews in response.
To the OP, I know what you're getting at, and I'd like to help, but I just use a cheap bow saw. Does the trick 99% of the time, though it may not be as classy.

I was responding directly to his request for answers to his questions without having to explain why he wanted to know. *Anything* can be in particular context with something else and safety is always a concern. If you don't see that, then there's nothing I can say that will convince you otherwise.

What's with the odd snippage?

Didn't seem odd to me. Maybe the problem is that I jumped into the thread part way and missed some of the context at the beginning. That might explain why it seems out of place. Don't worry about it. If it's any consolation, I'm finished anyway.
Matt Parker wrote:

Okay, maybe the word "advice" was a bit of a stretch, but your comment was pretty convicting and appeared to be directed toward him.

May I suggest that it might have been more productive if you had simply restated and clarifed your question and left out the complaints about the responses that obviously frustrated you?
'Nuff said. I'll get off my soapbox. I sincerely hope that you found some helpful information.
Tom
tom snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net writes:

I apologize for that then, because it was no way meant to be directed right at him. I meant it as a comment on this era in general.
I get sick of constantly reading posts on usenet saying "I'm going to do this if my wife will let me" or "I would buy one of these if I could just get it past SWMBO".
I tell my wife what I'm spending money on, but I don't ask her permission and she doesn't try to veto it. If there is something she wants, I say "ok, let's see how we can make it happen".

The thought came to me that I should have posted that I was tree-jacking on national forest land and thus a chainsaw was out of the question because of the noise level. :)
See? I even put a smiley on it...

Bits and pieces. I think I'm going to get a Gransfors Bruk cruiser size axe to limb these blowdowns. I was trying to avoid a bow saw, but I have some red oak and BLO laying around, so I guess I could knock one out.
Matt
On 27 Jul 2005 19:59:58 -0500, Matt Parker

FWIW, I like the axe better for crosscutting as long as I've got a keen edge on it. The bowsaw is just for getting a relatively flat surface to drive a spur center into. Problem I seem to run into is that the blade binds in the kerf when the log starts to collapse- and the axe doesn't do this, of course. If you do happen to run across a good saw that you'd recommend, though, I'd be interested in knowing what you found!

Tree-jacking? Stealing wood? That seems to explain that you want the hand crosscut saw for "stealth". If it's "trash" wood, unfit for burning, then why are you even bothering? If you're doing it to clear a hiking or snowmobile trail, then the forestry service shouldn't object, and there would be no need for silence.
FWIW, you said what you wanted to do and asked about crosscut saws. Could have saved a LOT of the angst in this thread if you had (1) Didn't say why, just asked about the saws, or (2) Explained that you had a chainsaw, but there were noise restrictions.
You started with "too much" or "not enough" information in the OP, and got answers that I would have given myself. Considering what you started with, I would have said "get a chainsaw".
My miss-spent youth included learning how to pull a 2 man crosscut saw, cutting logs to ~8' length, splitting w/wedges & sledge-hammer, then hauling to the house & making stove length with a buzz rig. Definitely a lot more work than chain-sawing to stove length, splitting with an ax and hauling to the woodshed.
--
Nahmie

Yep, there's nothing like firing up a Husqvarna Rancher at 2:00 in the morning to make people start rubberneckin.

Refresh my memory, does old-growth cherry make good firewood?
Ombodysay ashay anway underdevelopedway ensesay ofway umorhay.
Matt
writes:

Quoting part of one of your posts:
"Most of these blowdowns are elm. Not just any elm, but really nasty, trashy elm. I probably won't even try to burn them for heat."
You never mentioned any Cherry.
My sense of humor is very much intact, and functions perfectly. I'm even capable of laughing at myself. However, I'm done now because that hook hurts.
Seems the only post Mr. Parker has EVER made to the wRECk is this thread, so I'm all done.
DFTFT
Norman D. Crow
Matt Parker wrote:

FWIW, the usage of SWMBO on this newsgroup does not pertain to an overbearing and shrewish woman. See the following message for more info: http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/msg/12af4e70f0c0d448?hl=en&
I refer to my wife as SWMBO, and she knows about it and gets a laugh out of it. You see, we are comfortable enough in our relationship that she doesn't take offense at an obviously ironic/humorous term.
As to your original question -- I've not tried the saws in question, but do have some experience cutting mesquite from the log. I've used both a homemade bowsaw and a cheapo Stanley "sharksaw", and the best advice I can give you is whatever you choose, you want the saw to be as long as possible (within reason). You want to be able to establish a rhythm of *long* strokes where you are using your whole body behind the stroke.
As for the saw binding near the end of the cut -- I just roll the log over and finish the cut from the opposite side once I get close.
Chuck Vance
Conan The Librarian wrote:

If the log is up off the ground I _start_ the cut on the underside and after cutting up a fair bit switch to cutting down to finish it. Sometimes.
--

FF

Conan The Librarian wrote:

The Original SWMBO, Ayesha, was beautiful and powerful, perhaps overbearing, but in a majestic sort of way.
--

FF

Probably a poorly-worded question. If your question indicates zero knowledge or research present, then that will be assumed.

There are technical groups, though, full of people asking 'How do I do (really stupid thing that nobody in their right mind would do)'. Finding out what the question behind the question is, so the _real_ answer can be given, is valuable.
"I think I see what you're getting at, but the way you're trying to do it is the hard way to do it" is a valid response, in some situations.

No offense intended. I simply took you to task for this statement:

I find it frustrating that someone would start giving me advice on what I need without knowing the situation.

I'm sorry you feel that way, mister. I believe I have presented a valid point and that kind of reply won't cut it in a debate.
Matt
Matt, just ignore replies you consider to be rediculous. Never "let them have it" and argue back. Otherwise, you burn your bridges, as I have learned by my own social mistakes in this NG. You don't have to kiss ass either. And I know I wasn't asked, you were told anyway.
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

All the responses I've read so far have been right on target with your stated situation: "just cutting up to stove length".

NONE of the responses told you what you should do. I told you what I'd do and what would also work, as did others. To this you took offense. The one poster who did tell you "what you don't want" got a "first well-reasoned response" comment from you.

Maybe. And maybe you're just cranky. Either way you are certainly unreasonable and have earned the flak you are getting.
Art
where.com says...

dealer, on Ebay, or if you're lucky, at an estate sale. Therir quality is, IMNSHO, better than most any handsaw you can buy today. Are you anywhere near Spokane WA? I've got a few from around 1900 that need setting and sharpening, but the steel is good.
--
BNSF = Build Now, Seep Forever

It's been a few decades since I used one of those things, but I can remember enough to say this: You want one that'll let you do the longest stroke your arms can handle. Three feet probably isn't too long. If you've got long arms, 3.5 shouldn't be too bad. Long slower strokes are better than fast short ones. You get a better rhythm. Doesn't matter how thick the log is, longer strokes work better.
You don't want the garrettwade. It's a combination tooth, and they admit that they sacrificed some performance to make it a dry/green cutter. Probably not much, but after a few cuts you'll notice. I'd go with either the crosscut or Lehmans.
One of your posts makes me think you can sharpen a saw or you know someone who can. Lehmans says right up front the saw needs to be sharpened when you get it and I'd bet the crosscut saw would too. Oh, and when I used one of those it was the one with the extra handle like the crosscut, and I used it. It helped. It still dang near killed me, though. Of course, unlike me, you'll be able to stop anytime you want and take a break. :-)
Have fun! After a few weeks with those things, I can look at 'em with nostalgia but I'm never gonna pick one up to cut wood with it again.
<snip>

That was what worried me.
Thank you, yours is the first well-reasoned response I have received.
Matt