Crosscut Saws

Page 1 of 3

I have asked this question in a couple of other newsgroups, but instead of getting an useful answer, I have mostly got "buy a chainsaw".
We recently had storm bring down some trees and I will be cleaning them up soon. I am looking for a good crosscut saw to use for the task. Biggest diameter log is about 10". I see that Garrett Wade has a 28" saw that looke pretty good, but doesn't have a normal logging tooth (IE tuttle):
http://www.garrettwade.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?iProductID 7133
The Crosscut Saw Company has several to choose from but I don't know anything about their quality - do they sell good stuff?
However, they mostly seem too large - I'm not felling, just cutting up to stove length:
http://www.crosscutsaw.com/1.html
And finally, Lehmans has a few, can't tell anything about their quality:
http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?iProductID 51 http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?iProductID &
Are there any sources I'm overlooking?
I'm leaning toward the one from Garrett Wade, but the tooth style worries me.
Or maybe the German made saw from Lehmans.
Thoughts?
Matt
A chainsaw would be my 1st choice for that job. However, if you're a glutton for punishment and want to do it manually a bowsaw will do fine. http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/search.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&verticalFullName=Lawn+%26+Garden&keyword=bow+saw&displayTarget=searchresults
No need to spend $$$ on a saw for cutting up firewood.
Now you're trying to justify with SWMBO the purchase of one of the saws you identified .... that's a different story.
Art

After some of the chainsaws I have used over the years, a good handsaw isn't what I would call punishment.

If I wanted a bowsaw, I would make one. I am looking for a high quality hand saw that can be resharpened.

Was is with guys nowadays that have to run every purchase over $100 past their wives? I can understand talking it over before buying a car or something of that nature, but somehow I think we have raised a generation of men that don't know how to be leaders of their households.
Matt
Matt Parker wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly. Somehow a lot of guys got convinced that they are children and need to ask their wife permission for everything or they will "get in trouble".
I don't do that, and I don't expect my wife to ask me permission for everything either. But we are both mature adults and spend responsiblily. It's pretty sad if a man is so irresponsible, that a wife needs to "police" his spending habits.
On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 11:00:22 -0700, bf wrote:

Depends on your household income and paycheck cycle. Makes sense to make sure you both don't spend that hundred bucks at the same time. Unless both previous posters are just "keep 'em barefoot and pregnant" Taliban wannabes, in which case, never mind.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad scientist com

I think it is a deeper problem then that. My gut feeling is that we have had a generation of guys who were lousy dads. That, coupled with the high divorce rate, has created yet another generation of men who's primary role model and symbol of strength in the household was their mother.
If anybody reading this was in this situation, please don't think I'm beating on you. I was lucky - I was in my late teens before my parents divorced.

Nah, my wife valedictiorian of your high class, worked as a college financial aid office for years, etc. She just realize that she would rather be a wife and mom instead of an executive.
Matt

Jiminy Crickets! That will teach me to proofread my posts.
That paragraph was supposed to read:
My wife was the valedictiorian of her highschool class, worked as a college financial aid officer for years, etc. She just realize that she would rather be a wife and mom instead of an executive.
Matt
On 29 Jul 2005 12:34:07 -0500, the opaque Matt Parker

Uh, Matt, try looking up "valedictiorian" in the dictionary. G'wan. I dare ya.
Care for attempt #3? <bwahahaha>
--
Guns don't kill people. Rappers do!
-----------------------------------

Well, I've got my glasses on now, but I think I'll pass.
Matt

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/search.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&verticalFullName=Lawn+%26+Garden&keyword=bow+saw&displayTarget=searchresults Over the past 35 years or so I've cut down and up many a tree with a similar bow saw. I bought it at a the Boy Scout shop for about $4 and still use it... It's probably had a half dozen replacement blades on it over the years. The last major job was cutting up a sizeable multi trunk locust tree that the remains of a hurricane took down. Needless to saw, the blade needed replacing after that... ;-)
John
If you must use a handsaw, go to a hardware store, Sears or Walmart and buy a bow saw for about $10. For your purpose, it's far superior to the saws you are considering; disposable blade (no sharpening); much less sweat equity invested in cutting up the tree because of thin kerf blades used on bow saws. http://www.acehardware.com/sm-bow-saws--fi-1260189_cp-1254884.1255108.html Get the rectangular rather than the triangular frame type. Enjoy the exercise :-)
That said: "buy a chainsaw" if you have more than one tree to cut up. If your trees are within, say, 100 feet of an electric outlet, an electric chainsaw should suffice and is much less hassle for a novice user than a gas saw (but still needs periodic sharpening http://www.oregonchain.com/faq.htm#sharpening ; buy a sharpening file; don't let the blade touch rocks or the ground). Obviously you would also need a 100 ft power cord of adequate wire gage. HF has cheap electric chain saws as does Walmart, Sears, etc. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber)56
Arguably safer than even an electric chain saw in the hands of the inexperienced is a reciprocating saw. HF has a really cheap one that might last for a few trees. Then buy from Lowes or Home Depot (for almost what you paid for the saw) the longest brand name pruning blade they stock for reciprocating saws. (HF Chinese blades REALLY suck in my experience.) http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber095
David Merrill

For pete's sake, I'm not looking for a piece of Chinese made disposable crap.

How is that superior?

Have you used a good quality, sharp, Tuttle tooth saw?

Electric chainsaws are generally crap.

And, I was using gas chainsaws a quarter century ago.

I have a Milwaukee sawz-all for rough carpentry, but it would be a sorry choice for cutting up logs. The vibration alone would make your hands miserable before you cut through one log.

Very true. Cheap - not economical.
Matt
Matt, take a look at this sellers listings on eBay. I think he has good prices considering the used prices at "The Crosscut Saw Co."
http://search.ebay.com/_Tools-Hardware-Locks_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsacatZ13849QQsassZkiri500
You seem to be experienced, I am not. But, he is always re-listing his saws. You would want to email him and ask further details, he doesn't say much but I think those prices are worth serious consideration.
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Because it is a good idea for your use. An electric one will probably do.

IMO, a 3' saw is not too large for 10" dia cuts. A 20 to 24" stroke, pule the 10" of the wood, and it is about right.

Lehmans has a good reputation for quality.

What is it that causes the average usenet poster to assume that they know more about your situation than you do?
It is akin to asking for pointers on where to find a good Italian resturant and being told that what you really want is a McDonalds.
I like a good chainsaw when I need one. However, in all three posts I have made, I have never asked "should I get a chainsaw or a handsaw" - I have only asked where to find a good handsaw.
I don't mean to sound overly critical - it is just that this world is full of people that love to tell you what you should do rather than just answer a simple question.
I must be getting old.
Matt

Oh, you mean people like the guy (you) who earlier in this thread told everyone how to be a leader in their household? Or is unsolicited advice acceptable when you are delivering it?

That may be true, but I doubt it's an explanation for your reactions and behavior. I suspect you were confrontational and obnoxious even when you were young.
tom snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net writes:

Show me where I offered advice on it. I made the observation that the nation is full of such but at no time did I accuse him of suffering from it.
BTW, my wife cringes at the term SWMBO. To her, it describes an over-bearing and shrewish woman. I love and honor my wife, thus I don't call her that.

No, but whenever I have asked a question, I have usually wanted that question answered and not have to spend 15 minutes explaining why I want to know.
It seems like it was easier to get a straight answer 20 years ago.
Matt

There's a half million questions that if not answered correctly will kill you or maim you for life, especially with woodworking. That means that it's *imperative* that someone knows the origin and details surrounding your question before answering it for you.
Anything less would be irresponsible of the person giving you advice. If you don't understand that, then you shouldn't bother with this newsgroup and you shouldn't be doing any woodworking.

Yup, handsaws are well known for their maiming for life capability. Sorry, but it wasn't like I asked how to make nitroglycerin.

Alrighty, thank you one and all for helping prevent me from cutting off a limb (human) with a handsaw.
Of course, no one *asked* me if I had taken any safety training on using chainsaws...
Matt
Matt Parker wrote:

http://www.roguesci.org/megalomania/explo/nitroglycerin.html Joe :-)