crossbanding under veneer

I'll be veneering using some crotch mahogany on MDF. I've read that I should use a poplar crossbanding under it. The problem with this is that I was planning on using a commercial 3/4" banding on the front and then veneering the top and bottom so that the joint at the intersection of the front and top won't be visible from the top, just the front. If I use the crossbanding it will be visible. Does anyone have experience with this and think it's OK not to use the crossbanding (or not)?
--
Wayne Weber

Lay up your cross banding first. Edge band like you had intended and then lay up your face veneers.
As for, "is it OK not to x-band", it would depend on the application/final usage.
UA100