Critter sprayer

Anybody own one? How do you like it?

I have a bunch of plywood pieces to finis with a water base poly varnish and it looks like this little sprayer would be ideal for the project. Easy cleanup and storage of varnish and thinner in ordinary mason jars is particularly appealing. So the question is, does the thing actually work well enough to justify the $50 it's going to cost?

TIA

Reply to
JR-jred

It does.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Singleton

Whats a "Critter sprayer"? Can you tell me where to find one on the WEB?

Reply to
nevems2

: > I have a bunch of plywood pieces to finis with a water base poly varnish : > and it looks like this little sprayer would be ideal for the project. : > Easy cleanup and storage of varnish and thinner in ordinary mason jars : > is particularly appealing. So the question is, does the thing actually : > work well enough to justify the $50 it's going to cost? : >

: > TIA : >

: > -- : > -JR : > Hung like Einstein and smart as a horse : > Remove NO SPAM from e-mai address to reply : : : : :

Reply to
Bob Gramza

100%. Absolutely. Best thing I ever bought for my little pancake compressor. Buy it now. After you do, go to wal-mart and buy a case of pint-size mason jars.

Tips:

start at 30 PSI and work your way up/down. Buy a pressure reguator to keep on the gun so you don't have to make adjustments at the tank.

Reply to
Jay

Reply to
nospambob

I tried one and promptly returned it after using it once. What I didn't like about it is that it has a fixed spray pattern and generates tons of overspray. It has it's uses and it's probably worth the money, though for the same amount or slightly more, you can get a real spray gun which would be more versatile, but it'll probably require a larger air compressor.

If you're spraying water-based finishes don't worry too much about cleanup. All you need to do is pour out the finish, rinse the cup, and run some water through. The mason jar storage of the critter is appealing but bear in mind this advantage is negated if you're spraying clearcoats as it's a good idea to run the finish through a filter and pour into a clean jar before you spray.

Reply to
mp

Reply to
Richard Clements

I'm glad you posted this. I'd been reading enough about this little sprayer that I finally went out to Amazon.com and took a look. My first impression was not very favorable, but since I never shot with one, I was interested in the experiences and opinions of others. As I looked at it I had the thought that I could just continue to use my little Binks doorjam gun and get a much better job over a wider spectrum of finishes.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:uSbOc.19591$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Well, yeah. If I had a Binks door jam gun, that's what I'd do, too. This Critter isn't a Binks. It isn't a pro painter tool. It's a simple add-on to a Mason jar and a brad-nailer-type compressor. And it's $50. It's an alternative to a brush, or a rag, not to an Apollo or Fuji HVLP rig.

Use the best tool you can get your hands on.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Yes.

A lot. Google for the rest of the review.

A'yup.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

It's all about the Mason jars.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Singleton

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! 32nd and 33rd degree Mason jars only!

Reply to
patrick conroy

Yup, but those jars all have left hand threads!

Tim

Reply to
The Guy

I'll second that. I never mind painting until I'm done and have to do the clean up.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Currently $38 on EBay, plus shipping of course.

Wally Goffeney

Reply to
nospambob

Thanks for all the tips. I bought it, used it and after a little fiddling around with the pressure, I love it.

Only potential problem is the mason jars. I have to be really careful not to get the finishing products mixed up with my corn liquor.

Reply to
JR-jred

Use that for clean up after spraying shellac.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski