Critter sprayer

Page 1 of 2
Anybody own one? How do you like it?
I have a bunch of plywood pieces to finis with a water base poly varnish and it looks like this little sprayer would be ideal for the project. Easy cleanup and storage of varnish and thinner in ordinary mason jars is particularly appealing. So the question is, does the thing actually work well enough to justify the $50 it's going to cost?
TIA
--
-JR
Hung like Einstein and smart as a horse
"JR-jred" < snipped-for-privacy@metrocast.net> wrote in message
Whats a "Critter sprayer"? Can you tell me where to find one on the WEB?
MB

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
: > Anybody own one? How do you like it? : > : > I have a bunch of plywood pieces to finis with a water base poly varnish : > and it looks like this little sprayer would be ideal for the project. : > Easy cleanup and storage of varnish and thinner in ordinary mason jars : > is particularly appealing. So the question is, does the thing actually : > work well enough to justify the $50 it's going to cost? : > : > TIA : > : > -- : > -JR : > Hung like Einstein and smart as a horse : > Remove NO SPAM from e-mai address to reply : : : : :

100%. Absolutely. Best thing I ever bought for my little pancake compressor. Buy it now. After you do, go to wal-mart and buy a case of pint-size mason jars.
Tips:
start at 30 PSI and work your way up/down. Buy a pressure reguator to keep on the gun so you don't have to make adjustments at the tank.
Used mine yesterday to spray thinned latex. Used previously for WB Varathane as well as shellac. Get it and use it.

I tried one and promptly returned it after using it once. What I didn't like about it is that it has a fixed spray pattern and generates tons of overspray. It has it's uses and it's probably worth the money, though for the same amount or slightly more, you can get a real spray gun which would be more versatile, but it'll probably require a larger air compressor.
If you're spraying water-based finishes don't worry too much about cleanup. All you need to do is pour out the finish, rinse the cup, and run some water through. The mason jar storage of the critter is appealing but bear in mind this advantage is negated if you're spraying clearcoats as it's a good idea to run the finish through a filter and pour into a clean jar before you spray.

I'm glad you posted this. I'd been reading enough about this little sprayer that I finally went out to Amazon.com and took a look. My first impression was not very favorable, but since I never shot with one, I was interested in the experiences and opinions of others. As I looked at it I had the thought that I could just continue to use my little Binks doorjam gun and get a much better job over a wider spectrum of finishes.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

Well, yeah. If I had a Binks door jam gun, that's what I'd do, too. This Critter isn't a Binks. It isn't a pro painter tool. It's a simple add-on to a Mason jar and a brad-nailer-type compressor. And it's $50. It's an alternative to a brush, or a rag, not to an Apollo or Fuji HVLP rig.
Use the best tool you can get your hands on.
Patriarch
why would you get this over say the HF 21 PC. PAINT SPRAY GUN KIT for $29.99, ya it's HF but it's a lot more versatile, anyone with thoughts about this?
patriarch wrote:

It's all about the Mason jars.
Kevin
--
=====
"Richard Clements" < snipped-for-privacy@clemnet.org> wrote in message

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! 32nd and 33rd degree Mason jars only!
patrick conroy wrote:

Yup, but those jars all have left hand threads!
Tim
--
No BoomBoom for me! - snipped-for-privacy@BoomBoomVerizon.net

Don't forget the handshake and funny hats.
Dan
The main problem with most spray guns is cleaning them. I often spend 2 minutes spraying and then 10-15 minutes cleaning. That is the appeal of the critter. 2 minutes of spraying and 30 seconds of cleaning. As was said , the mason jars are the appeal. Cheers, JG
Richard Clements wrote:

I'll second that. I never mind painting until I'm done and have to do the clean up.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com
Fuhr has a cleaner that at a glance might make the odious cleaning less of a drudge. Jeff Jewitt carries it and describes it and uses it. www.homesteadfinishing.com
On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 00:00:10 GMT, "Mike Marlow"

Thanks for all the tips. I bought it, used it and after a little fiddling around with the pressure, I love it.
Only potential problem is the mason jars. I have to be really careful not to get the finishing products mixed up with my corn liquor.
--
-JR
Hung like Einstein and smart as a horse

Use that for clean up after spraying shellac.

Perish the thought!! A terrible waste of good corn liquor. I use the store-bought stuff for that.