Critter Spray question

Is this spray gun with poly OK to use on bookcases, desks etc. that I have just built? I went through all the sanding phases and ended with 220 grit. What PSI on my compressor should I use the gun with? When I can afford it I want to get a HVLP sprayer. Also, what PSI would I use for poly on that gun? Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Scott

I don't know about poly, but with latex paint and/or primer, I used much higher pressure than the 'normal' recommended in the manual/leaflet. I go about 90psi, and get a much smoother finish than at lower pressures.

PK

Reply to
PK

That sounds like you are using a conventional gun, not an HVLP gun.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

I've sprayed poly with about 25# and latex "treated" with Floetrol at about 50#. Jeff Jewitt has a special on Asturo HVLP setups, visit

BillyBob wrote:

Reply to
nospambob

Reply to
nospambob

That's what the Critter spray gun is. The OP wants to get an HVLP gun, but doesn't have one yet. PK

Reply to
PK

I don't have one of these guns but it must come with instructions. You'd use a lower pressure than for paint. However...

DO NOT USE IT ON YOUR BOOKCASES UNTIL YOU'VE TRIED IT ON CARDBOARD AND A PIECE OF SCRAP!!!! SAND THE SCRAP THE SAME AS THE BOOKCASE. STAIN IT AS WELL IF THE BOOKCASES ARE STAINED.

This will, of course, deprive us of the secret relief felt when we hear that someone other than ourselves has screwed up a project at the last instant. You'll only have to feel bad until the next guy comes along and messes up.

Reply to
Ed Clarke

That was my experience with latex paint as well. After thinning and using Flowtrol, 85 - 90 PSI was required to produce a good finish. At that pressure, you tend to bounce a lot of paint, so use of tarps and adequate ventilation is definitely a must.

Tim

Reply to
The Guy