Creative Toothpicking

Sorry, this post is ON topic.
Scott Weaver's "Rolling through the Bay" kinetic sculpture.
http://player.vimeo.com/video/22461692?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0
-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself. -- Louis L'Amour

I cannot imagine the time that went into building that.

I believe that takes a stoner mentality, the total focus of your life for years at a time. I think I heard him say that the last course he added took 90-100 hours.
-- One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love. -- Sophocles
On 9/5/2011 2:29 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

or the reason for.
--
Steve Barker
Steve Barker wrote:

Artistic expression doesn't need a good reason... He translated his passion for something he felt strongly about into something you can see. If it makes you feel any better, he probably did it more for himself than for anyone else. Unfortunately, I think, if you remove the "tour guide" from the work, alot is lost.
Bill wrote:

Do you know the way to San Jose? duh,duh-duh, duh-duh! ...
Maybe he doesn't a toothpick builder is someone who likes to pick-out a tune?
Bill wrote:

oops typo fixed:

Probably had Tinker-Toys as a kid! : )

I had Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys, an Erector Set, and a chemistry set, and I turned out...hmm. OK, point proven.
-- One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love. -- Sophocles
On 9/6/2011 10:46 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Good stuff!

On Tue, 06 Sep 2011 07:46:22 -0700, Larry Jaques

What? No Meccano? You were deprived as a kid eh?
Dave wrote:

Looks like it would have been great fun! From Wikipedia:
Meccano was invented in 1901 in England by Frank Hornby and manufactured by the British company, Meccano Ltd, between 1908 and 1980. It is now manufactured in France and China. Currently sold "Erector Sets" are actually Meccano sets manufactured by Meccano S.N. of France, part of the Nikko Group of Japan.

Actually, it's been years since I thought of the Meccano set I had. Metal rods, metal nuts and bolts, not a hint of plastic in sight. Between my Meccano set and my father's workshop, I credit both with my liking to fix, build and create things. Between nature versus nurture, I think nurture won out in my case.
I often wondered what happened to that Meccano set. Hell, I'd probably play with it today if it was still here.

So did I and still cut a board an inch short today ...

I hate it when that happens, especially when the client is watching. I was so mad at myself, I did it a second time in a row once. (not in front of a client, luckily) Talk about your instant humility.
-- That's the thing about needs. Sometimes, when you get them met, you don't need them anymore. -- Michael Patrick King
In typed:

Why would you be sorry a post is ON topic? It's informatve, it's interesting, it's enjoyable, it's wood and it's not spamming.

Very interesting Goldberg approach! Was that built as a "from the ground up" or more an object oriented approach of a working piece at a time" approach? Either way I see a lot of balancng acts as it reached about the half way stage!
HTH,
Twayne`
On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 12:42:11 -0400, "Twayne" >

Even for a wannabe netcop, you're surprisingly lacking in a sense of humour. But in retrospect, I guess expecting anything else from you is a waste of time.