Creating deep holes for grooving shapes. What should be the best strategy?

Hi.
I have a router like the following (Makita 3709):
http://tinyurl.com/zuy8ru3
And I have to work in a piece of wood (cedar) for creating a 15cm (5.9inch) deep grooving "hole".
Imagine a 15cm (5.9inch) deep cup where the top (like the rest of the cup) is not a perfect circle but a random grooving shape.
I don't have a lathe and anyway the "hole" itself is grooving, so the lathe would be useless I guess.
I can do that manually but... it's not a such valuable piece that pushes me to spend time with the chisels and ordinary drill bits.
So I thought it would be a good idea to use a router.
But I don't know if is there a such deep router bit (15cm) or even if it's the best strategy for that kind of work.
Any help/idea?
Thanks a lot! []s Alex
On Tuesday, February 16, 2016 at 11:04:11 AM UTC-8, Alexander Franca Fernandes wrote:

Routers typically can plunge an inch or two, but 15 cm is three times that range; it isn't going to be convenient. Also, router bits aren't perfect for pulling chips out of a hole (an auger bit is much faster than spiral upcut bits). Even if you could find a bit (there are metal-cutting spiral bits nearly long enough), it would be very hard to control the cut, because the cutter will pull the tip.
Best bet: rout the first centimeter or two, then use that groove to guide as you drill to depth, and chisel to connect the drill holes.
On 2/16/2016 1:04 PM, Alexander Franca Fernandes wrote:

Not really enough info to make an informed response. Got a drawing or photo, with the size of what you're attempting?
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Does it matter if the grooves are all the same size? You could use a tap to cut the grooves as threads. They're available in all sorts of sizes and quality levels from "I know my (family member) likes tools and these are cheap" to "we get about 500 holes in Steel outta them."
Are you thinking of some sort of oblong hole?
Please give us more detail, maybe a suggested application.
Puckdropper
Yes, I want to create oblong holes.
But deep oblong holes.
I'm not sure about the tap... couldn't translate in something that makes sense.
Something like the boxes below (not a heart or that big box, but that's the idea: deep carving in a not straight or perfect circles shapes. And in a single solid piece of wood.
http://tinyurl.com/z6xgn3j
http://tinyurl.com/gmogyas
[]s Alex

Perhaps drill out to rough size - then use a dremel or power carver with various rasp and sanding attachments .. http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p1037&cat=1,130,43409 John T.
--- ---
Alexander Franca Fernandes wrote:

I doubt you'll be able to do it with a router. Maybe, if you bandsaw the piece into thinner slabs, do your routing, then glue them back.
Your best bet is probably a circular cainsaw carver, maybe a power chisel. http://jeffgreefwoodworking.com/commerce/carving/
"Alexander Franca Fernandes" wrote in message

Those boxes are probably band sawn boxes with the bottoms glued in... You can make the interior whatever shape you wish. See an example here...
http://www.finewoodworking.com/woodworking-plans/video/build-a-bandsawn-box.aspx

When you said "grooving shape", I thought of something similar to a screw thread. I see that what you're after is completely different than the impression I got.
Puckdropper

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query
ndsaw+boxes On Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 11:49:06 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com wrote:

Thanks to all!!
All the ideas was very helpful.
And thanks for the patience with my lack of woodworking english vocabulary.
[]s Alex
On 2/16/2016 1:04 PM, Alexander Franca Fernandes wrote:

You are probably going to want to use something like a Forster bit in a drill press to remove a majority of the wood. Then clean up with chisels or a sanding ball on a drill.