Creating a pointed tip

I have a rod of wood about 1cm in diameter. I want to create an angled tip on it, but need it at certain angles, eg 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, etc, for testing purposes. I'm not sure how to do this at the moment. The woodshop that I have access to right now currently has a lathe, a milling drill thing, this one machine that has a sawblade that is oriented vertically, and another drilling machine. I need the tip to be sharp, and there is also a grinding/sanding machine, also, but that does not let me fix the position of the rod, but I might be able to use that to sharpen it. I was wondering if anyone has ideas/tips to create an angled tip with this equipment, otherwise I will have to seek other methods.

Thank you,

- Eli Luong

Reply to
Eli Luong

Why not build a jig to hold the rod in the correct position, then use the one machine with the sawblade oriented vertically?

It might be better to pay someone to do this, as if you don't know the names of the machines it is doubtful that you can use them safely and accurately.

Old Guy

Reply to
Old guy

Sat, Mar 3, 2007, 7:17pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Eli=A0Luong) doth query: I have a rod of wood about 1cm in diameter. I want to create an angled tip on it,

Why not go thru all that? You could have jsut said you want poiny stick plans.

I haven't seen any pointy stick plans for that big a stick, but you should be able to scale up with no problems. But you lseft out some of the necessary details. Is it going to be a right pointing stick, left, or what? Can't help you much without the details.

JOAT It was too early in the morning for it to be early in the morning. That was the only thing that he currently knew for sure.

- Clodpool

Reply to
J T

If the "machine that has a sawblade that is oriented vertically" has a miter gage, then it would be the one to use.

Otherwise, cheap way to do it would be a protracter, a dozuki saw, and a sanding block.

Reply to
J. Clarke