Crapsman lives up to it's title

Harsh words were exchanged one day when SWMBO tried to get my attention while I was running my rather noisy Rockwell TS. Since she was upstairs in the kitchen, and obviously unwilling to come downstairs to the shop, she felt it was more expedient to turn the shop lights off.

Tom Flyer

Reply to
--={Flyer}=--

He was too busy counting the $$ he gets paid for the commercial to worry about safety.

KP

Reply to
Keith

needless to say if I was walking a wall it would have some flex to it. Had a young bull on the crew that thought it was funny to shake the walls under me hollering earthquake when I was up there. One day I'm 24' feet up setting trusses and focusing on the job at hand and he starts up catching me completely off guard. Off I came but I had a hand on the truss being craned into place it was suspended in the center so I still went down in a hurry but not freefall. I came down on top of this guy feet first and he thankfully broke my fall to the tune of a broken jaw and a broken collarbone. Job boss was on the the other end of the truss when I went and almost went off the other side. Mr. Practical Joker came round in the ER to his paycheck and an invitation to a blanket party if he came back on site ever again. Haven't seen him since...

EJ

Reply to
Eric Johnson

[snip a tale too painful to repeat]

I have much the same issue: my shop is in the basement, completely enclosed to confine the dust as much as possible, and no window in the only door. A doorbell wouldn't be much use with machinery running and ear protection in use. So I asked a deaf guy whom I used to work with, 'what do deaf people use for doorbells?'

Here are some examples:

if I can just find the time to install the darn thing...

Doug Miller

Use a dimmer switch instead. She can gradually turn it up and there will be no sudden event to distract your concentration. Maybe use a different color light off to the side.

Joe

Reply to
BIG JOE

hmm I gota scar there too.

Reply to
Young_carpenter

He's lucky he lasted that long. Having been to school with guys who thought everything was a joke He would have been fired after a first warning.

Reply to
Young_carpenter

Jay,

I feel your pain, and would like to offer a viable solution that works for me. I tried the "flicking of lights" scenario... and believe you me this can still be quite startling. I use a set of 2 way radios. Cost me 20$ for the set. SWMBO uses the 'pager' feature on the unit. It bleeps like a pager. I can respond. If a tool is on and it is too noisy for me to hear the page then I probably don't want to talk right then anyway ! I hear the bleep when I shut off the tool. This systems seems to work really well. My wife likes all of my fingers and understands that this will help me keep them.

Another solution would be to wear a cell phone set on vibrate. I don't own a cellphone, so I got the radios. They have proved useful for camping, the mall, sporting event etc. Not a bad use of a 20$.

Hope this helps Jay,

Dusty

"Women should be obscene and not heard." Groucho Marx.

Reply to
Dusty Workshop

I used to have a vibrating pager when I was wiring machine tools. I can't tell you how many times I thought I was getting electrocuted when that @#@%ing thing went off just as I touched a wire.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

Once would do it for me. Scrap can't tingle you.

Charlie Self "Love is not the dying moan of a distant violin - it's the triumphant twang of a bedspring." S. J. Perelman

Charlie Self

Agree, a couple of 2way FRS radios work fine in this situation, as well as for when you are mowing the grass, etc.

Also, they eliminate the dreaded "Where is my wife/husband now that I am done shopping in the huge warehouse stores/etc. Used to drive me crazy when we would go to Sam's or Costco, or whatever, I have 2 or 3 items to pickup, and SWMBO decides to "look around" while I hunt up the items on the list. Of course, it never fails, I find the 2 or 3 items in record time, and am at the check out counter griping under my breath about leaving her there if she doesn't show up soon, OR just never bring her with them again. In those cases, having both of us carrying the little 2way radios means that the ugly scenario never happens, as I radio her when I head for the checkout, and she can radio me if she sees something we need to add to the shoping cart

John

Reply to
John Crea

MrAoD wrote: Heh, see you one and raise you one.

Reminds me of snitching salmon back in MI. Much more dangerous than deer hunting. People hooking each other in nearby boots, every once in a while a pair of waders going by upsdie down. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

I figure that's about normal size for this bunch. Seems to me this is a larger than average bunch. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

My grandson gave me a set up wireless intercoms for Christmas. They work well. I usually take my cell phone with me and it vibrates when it rings (sometimes the most fun I have in a day!). -- Cell phone could be hand in case of accident also. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

I suppose thats Craftsmans fault too?

Reply to
Grandpa

On 11 Feb 2004 18:53:56 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) brought forth from the murky depths:

I've had the phone ring just as I touched a hot wire with no gloves on. Or how about the wire poking through the glove and sticking you? It feels just like a current even if you're not grounding yourself anywhere.

Ah, there's nothing like working with the power on for true excitement and blood circulation!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Kinda like a bunch of lumber jacks at the bar and trying to get a word in edge wise isn't it?

Reply to
Eric Johnson

Gack!

Wimminz... Can't live with'em, can't live without'em.

Reply to
Silvan

Good line of thought. Could maybe use something like that on a phone too, so I can be reached without being screeched.

Reply to
Silvan

Nah, it's just that we're mostly Americans.

Reply to
Silvan