Crapsman lives up to it's title

Page 2 of 3
Doug Miller wrote:

Good line of thought. Could maybe use something like that on a phone too, so I can be reached without being screeched.
The Fone Flasher 2 strobe and loud ringer get attention with earmuffs on.
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 21:35:48 -0500, Silvan

Use a dimmer switch instead. She can gradually turn it up and there will be no sudden event to distract your concentration. Maybe use a different color light off to the side.
Joe

My shop is lit with flourescents, and very brightly...but there is a single incandescent bulb with a switch at the top of the stairs. My wife just blinks it on and off; it's noticeable but not distracting... and she knows better than to come down while the DC and jointer are running!
Warren
We have a wireless phone with an intercom. If she needs me, she will call.
If it's too noisy to hear, she will wait a few moments and try again. Sure beats being snuck up upon.

My Radio Shack Fone Flasher 2 alerts that phone is ringing with bright strobe flashing. Fringe benefit is LOUD ringer capability helps when outside in yard.
On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 21:42:34 GMT, "Al Reid"

hmm I gota scar there too.
--

"Jay Windley" < snipped-for-privacy@clavius.org> wrote in message
news:c0b3da$861$ snipped-for-privacy@terabinaries.xmission.com...

IIRC, the path of the saw and the direction that the board would be thrown would be forward and away from the wife. No?
Leon asks:

Start screwing with falling wood from a circ saw and you're asking it to lock up in a cut and kick back. I knew one kid that happened to: took him a couple years to really get right after the slice in his inner thigh muscle.
I am constantly haranguing my wife to stay out of the tool's path when I'm working. She wants to help, and does, but has no ability to determie the path(s) of problems, so I have to remind her each time. So far, so good. She's seen a couple items fly and stay wary for a few months, but if she doesn't help, she forgets.
Charlie Self "Why isn't there a special name for the tops of your feet?" Lily Tomlin
Charlie Self) writes: [snip]

Thass why you always support your work, right?

Heh, see you one and raise you one.
Tool path, BTDTGTFS.
1)Fishing: fighting a 15+ bluefish in the surf (Hatteras NC), and he's giving me gyp, I can feel the hook slipping. Missus is up the beach a smidge, comes running to see what I'm fighting. Much cries of <female version> "Youdaman!"</femaleversion) while standing in front of me. (Guess they never get over that cheerleader crapola).
<Me> "Get out of the way please, get out of the way please . . . get the f...behind me d***a**! </Me(as I feel the hook going totally south)>.
Hurt look on her face, <me> steps between her and the incoming (treble) hooked spoon.
Wham! sensation, right down in the left groinal region. Quite frankly I'm afraid to look right away.
<SWMBO>: "Why are you so mean to me? Why did you yell at me?</SWMBO(preblubbering)>
<Me> "Uh, honey, is that hook in my left nut or not? </Me> The hook was about 1.5" from the bidness, luckily didn't break the skin.
With a little bit of coaching she caught the next blue, 19 lbs or so.
Good day all told.
Best,
Marc
MrAoD wrote:

I'll never look at a fishing pole the same way again after reading that.
MrAoD wrote: Heh, see you one and raise you one.

Reminds me of snitching salmon back in MI. Much more dangerous than deer hunting. People hooking each other in nearby boots, every once in a while a pair of waders going by upsdie down. Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

Yeah I agree with that ... I just did not see the picture that Frank was painting I guess.

thrust forward, but in the *saw* being thrust *backward*.
Yeah I see the err of my thinking now... I don't let any one hold the board unless I know that it is a long board and they are pushing forward and pushing down. And I don't stand directly behind the saw either.
Leon writes:

Dude, you're not into reliving your divorce?
:)
Marc

Thanks, Doug. This is exactly what I was getting at, I guess my OP wasn't all that clear. The way she reaches to grab the board, if the saw kicked back, her hand, arm and body are all in harm's way.
Frank

NO. when a circ saw binds, it always jumps backward.
Frank, I don't think Sears is the only company that lets marketing get in the way of displaying safe operation, though their ad sounds especially stupid.
I love my Jet Supersaw, but I was appalled at the Jet video on this saw. The guy makes all kinds of cuts with a naked blade and not even a pair of safety glasses on. He could have at least put them on while making the cuts.
Then there's the recent woodworking show. The demos fell into two safety categories - those that went to great lengths to put up clear shields between their equipment and the audience and those that did nothing. I was amazed how many naked table saws were in operation, free for little kids to stand behind the saw at eye level to see what was going on.
I have to admire Torben Helshoj, president of Laguna tools, who takes signficant time to talk about safety and then sprinkles safety comments throughtout his commercial video on Laguna tools.
Bob

Jay,
I feel your pain, and would like to offer a viable solution that works for me. I tried the "flicking of lights" scenario... and believe you me this can still be quite startling. I use a set of 2 way radios. Cost me 20$ for the set. SWMBO uses the 'pager' feature on the unit. It bleeps like a pager. I can respond. If a tool is on and it is too noisy for me to hear the page then I probably don't want to talk right then anyway ! I hear the bleep when I shut off the tool. This systems seems to work really well. My wife likes all of my fingers and understands that this will help me keep them.
Another solution would be to wear a cell phone set on vibrate. I don't own a cellphone, so I got the radios. They have proved useful for camping, the mall, sporting event etc. Not a bad use of a 20$.
Hope this helps Jay,
Dusty
"Women should be obscene and not heard." Groucho Marx.