Crapsman lives up to it's title

Page 1 of 3
Saw a new Craftsman commercial the other day. It's a new one in the series were Bob Vila (man he looks old!) interviews some schlub who has performed some miracle like hanging some shelves or remodelling a room using all Craftsman tools! Wow! What did we ever do before all these new gadgety things?
This new one shows a guy remodelling a room. Right at the begining, he is cutting a board about 3" x 24" with a circular saw. As he completes his cut, his wife steps up behind him and grabs the piece of wood before it falls, meaning that her hand and body are directly behind the path of the saw. Nice work Crapsman. Not only do you sell junk, now you make a commercial showing unsafe usage of your junk. The downward spiral of Crapsman's reputation continues.
It only reinforces my decision to not support the Crapsman/ Boob Vila nightmare.
Frank
Frank Ketchum wrote:

As I read your post I was thinking, "Man, what did Sears do tothis guy!" Then I remembered how much I hate the stupid ass "Can you hear me now?" idiot. I wish someone took him to a place he can't be heard!
--
gabriel

gabriel wrote:

Ditto - I feel your pain.
He was too busy counting the $$ he gets paid for the commercial to worry about safety.
KP
Due to your observance I bett hat ad gets pulled quickly! Thank's for noticing. I was running a chainsaw one day and a "friend" slipped up behind me to scare me. He did, but I put a little "fear" into him. that is STUPID!
On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 14:18:22 GMT, "Frank Ketchum"

| | I was running a chainsaw one day and a "friend" slipped up | behind me to scare me.
My friends know that if they see me operating a power tool, they're to wait until I've finished and the tool stops before trying to get my attention. The alternative is summary eviction from the shop.
I remember restoring a Neupert harpsichord after a long period of storage. Thanks to all the wonderful environment effects that affect wood, many of the ebony-clad pine keys had moved to the point of hitting each other. As I was poised with my razor-sharp chisel to shave off a couple thousands of an inch of ebony off a quarter-inch key, some [expletive] decided to scare me. The result was a nice clean gash along the side of my left index finger. You gotta wonder what some people are thinking sometimes.
--Jay
Jay Windley writes:

Good thing it was nly razor sharp. :)
Many people think a joke is more important than blood. Too many. I like jokes, but I don't like practical jokes or jokers. They don't come in my shop twice.
Charlie Self "Why isn't there a special name for the tops of your feet?" Lily Tomlin
On 10 Feb 2004 19:34:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) asserted:

Here's another Twain quote for you.
When grown-up persons indulge in practical jokes, the fact gauges them. They have lived narrow, obscure, and ignorant lives, and at full manhood they still retain and cherish a job-lot of left-over standards and ideals that would have been discarded with their boyhood if they had then moved out into the world and a broader life. There were many practical jokers in the new Territory. I do not take pleasure in exposing this fact, for I liked those people; but what I am saying is true. I wish I could say a kindlier thing about them instead -- that they were burglars, or hat-rack thieves, or something like that, that wouldn't be utterly uncomplimentary. I would prefer it, but I can't say those things, they would not be true. These people were practical jokers, and I will not try to disguise it. In other respects they were plenty good-enough people; honest people; reputable and likable.
S.L. Clemens The Autobiography of Mark Twain. Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
Yea, I don't like that practial joke crap either, It;s dangerous. Some shop's make a game or competion out of it. Tony D.

an
me.
jokes,
twice.

an
me.
jokes,
twice.
Back when I was young and spry I did some rough framing. I'm 6'5" 300lbs so needless to say if I was walking a wall it would have some flex to it. Had a young bull on the crew that thought it was funny to shake the walls under me hollering earthquake when I was up there. One day I'm 24' feet up setting trusses and focusing on the job at hand and he starts up catching me completely off guard. Off I came but I had a hand on the truss being craned into place it was suspended in the center so I still went down in a hurry but not freefall. I came down on top of this guy feet first and he thankfully broke my fall to the tune of a broken jaw and a broken collarbone. Job boss was on the the other end of the truss when I went and almost went off the other side. Mr. Practical Joker came round in the ER to his paycheck and an invitation to a blanket party if he came back on site ever again. Haven't seen him since...
EJ
He's lucky he lasted that long. Having been to school with guys who thought everything was a joke He would have been fired after a first warning.
--

"Eric Johnson" <ej snipped-for-privacy@wisconsinoutback.com> wrote in message
news:c0d6he$cir$ snipped-for-privacy@news.doit.wisc.edu...
Eric Johnson wrote:

I figure that's about normal size for this bunch. Seems to me this is a larger than average bunch. Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

so
snipped-for-privacy@fairfax.com wrote:

Nah, it's just that we're mostly Americans.

300lbs
And all on "Atkin's"...
mttt wrote:

Nah.
I'm hoping once the weather improves and I get more active I can drop some weight without having to bother with a diet. Diets are too complicated.
Jay Windley wrote:

Now that my pain and anger have faded, I can share this one...
I don't have any kind of motorized way of sawing up turning wood yet. I had been sawing on a pretty good hunk of wood for awhile with a bow saw, and I had gotten it almost sawn in half. I grew impatient, and grabbed a baby sledge to whack it and finish it off.
Right as I was standing and turning with the sledge, SWMBO burst into the shop with a screeching HI HONEY!!!!!!!!!!!
I let go of the sledge, and POW, smacked the spindle on my weeks-old JET mini. I bent it, and the lathe was ruined in an instant. Not bent by much, but it was definitely *way* out of whack after that.
(Well, I was able to fix it with a new spindle for $40, and the little guy runs like a champ again. Still, it was heart wrenching seeing my practically new baby incapacitated like that, and so senselessly.)
As y'all might imagine, we had a fight that day.
We still haven't come to any good resolution on the issue either. I have no windows, and no way of seeing out of the shop. It's hard for anyone to know what I'm doing in there, and impossible to open the door without startling me. So the result is that she no longer calls me to dinner or says hello when she gets home. It's sort of a wedge between us.
I'm thinking about rigging up a light switch on the outside or something, so she can blink a light and get my attention, so I'll come out without her having to scare the bajeezus out of me and maybe send me to the emergency room.

Harsh words were exchanged one day when SWMBO tried to get my attention while I was running my rather noisy Rockwell TS. Since she was upstairs in the kitchen, and obviously unwilling to come downstairs to the shop, she felt it was more expedient to turn the shop lights off.
<sigh>
Tom Flyer
--==-- wrote:

Gack!
Wimminz... Can't live with'em, can't live without'em.

[snip a tale too painful to repeat]

I have much the same issue: my shop is in the basement, completely enclosed to confine the dust as much as possible, and no window in the only door. A doorbell wouldn't be much use with machinery running and ear protection in use. So I asked a deaf guy whom I used to work with, 'what do deaf people use for doorbells?'
Here are some examples: http://www.nexgenproducts.com/doorbell.htm http://www.deafresources.com/cgibin/shopper.cgi?preadd tion&key=AMER-AM100 http://www.mitedu.freeserve.co.uk/Circuits/Misc/deafdoorbell.htm http://www.sonicalert.com /
Now if I can just find the time to install the darn thing...