Crapsman lives up to it's title

Saw a new Craftsman commercial the other day. It's a new one in the series were Bob Vila (man he looks old!) interviews some schlub who has performed some miracle like hanging some shelves or remodelling a room using all Craftsman tools! Wow! What did we ever do before all these new gadgety things?

This new one shows a guy remodelling a room. Right at the begining, he is cutting a board about 3" x 24" with a circular saw. As he completes his cut, his wife steps up behind him and grabs the piece of wood before it falls, meaning that her hand and body are directly behind the path of the saw. Nice work Crapsman. Not only do you sell junk, now you make a commercial showing unsafe usage of your junk. The downward spiral of Crapsman's reputation continues.

It only reinforces my decision to not support the Crapsman/ Boob Vila nightmare.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

As I read your post I was thinking, "Man, what did Sears do tothis guy!" Then I remembered how much I hate the stupid ass "Can you hear me now?" idiot. I wish someone took him to a place he can't be heard!

Reply to
gabriel

Due to your observance I bett hat ad gets pulled quickly! Thank's for noticing. I was running a chainsaw one day and a "friend" slipped up behind me to scare me. He did, but I put a little "fear" into him. that is STUPID!

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

IIRC, the path of the saw and the direction that the board would be thrown would be forward and away from the wife. No?

Reply to
Leon

Frank, I don't think Sears is the only company that lets marketing get in the way of displaying safe operation, though their ad sounds especially stupid.

I love my Jet Supersaw, but I was appalled at the Jet video on this saw. The guy makes all kinds of cuts with a naked blade and not even a pair of safety glasses on. He could have at least put them on while making the cuts.

Then there's the recent woodworking show. The demos fell into two safety categories - those that went to great lengths to put up clear shields between their equipment and the audience and those that did nothing. I was amazed how many naked table saws were in operation, free for little kids to stand behind the saw at eye level to see what was going on.

I have to admire Torben Helshoj, president of Laguna tools, who takes signficant time to talk about safety and then sprinkles safety comments throughtout his commercial video on Laguna tools.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

Leon asks:

Start screwing with falling wood from a circ saw and you're asking it to lock up in a cut and kick back. I knew one kid that happened to: took him a couple years to really get right after the slice in his inner thigh muscle.

I am constantly haranguing my wife to stay out of the tool's path when I'm working. She wants to help, and does, but has no ability to determie the path(s) of problems, so I have to remind her each time. So far, so good. She's seen a couple items fly and stay wary for a few months, but if she doesn't help, she forgets.

Charlie Self "Why isn't there a special name for the tops of your feet?" Lily Tomlin

Charlie Self

Ditto - I feel your pain.

Reply to
Grandpa

Kickback with a portable circular saw generally results not in the board being thrust forward, but in the *saw* being thrust *backward*.

Doug Miller

Charlie Self) writes: [snip]

Thass why you always support your work, right?

Heh, see you one and raise you one.

Tool path, BTDTGTFS.

1)Fishing: fighting a 15+ bluefish in the surf (Hatteras NC), and he's giving me gyp, I can feel the hook slipping. Missus is up the beach a smidge, comes running to see what I'm fighting. Much cries of "Youdaman!"
Reply to
MrAoD

My friends know that if they see me operating a power tool, they're to wait until I've finished and the tool stops before trying to get my attention. The alternative is summary eviction from the shop.

I remember restoring a Neupert harpsichord after a long period of storage. Thanks to all the wonderful environment effects that affect wood, many of the ebony-clad pine keys had moved to the point of hitting each other. As I was poised with my razor-sharp chisel to shave off a couple thousands of an inch of ebony off a quarter-inch key, some [expletive] decided to scare me. The result was a nice clean gash along the side of my left index finger. You gotta wonder what some people are thinking sometimes.

--Jay

Reply to
Jay Windley

Yeah I agree with that ... I just did not see the picture that Frank was painting I guess.

Reply to
Leon

Yeah I see the err of my thinking now... I don't let any one hold the board unless I know that it is a long board and they are pushing forward and pushing down. And I don't stand directly behind the saw either.

Reply to
Leon

Dude, you're not into reliving your divorce?

:)

Marc

Reply to
MrAoD

Thanks, Doug. This is exactly what I was getting at, I guess my OP wasn't all that clear. The way she reaches to grab the board, if the saw kicked back, her hand, arm and body are all in harm's way.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

Good thing it was nly razor sharp. :)

Many people think a joke is more important than blood. Too many. I like jokes, but I don't like practical jokes or jokers. They don't come in my shop twice.

Charlie Self "Why isn't there a special name for the tops of your feet?" Lily Tomlin

Charlie Self

On 10 Feb 2004 19:34:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) asserted:

Here's another Twain quote for you.

When grown-up persons indulge in practical jokes, the fact gauges them. They have lived narrow, obscure, and ignorant lives, and at full manhood they still retain and cherish a job-lot of left-over standards and ideals that would have been discarded with their boyhood if they had then moved out into the world and a broader life. There were many practical jokers in the new Territory. I do not take pleasure in exposing this fact, for I liked those people; but what I am saying is true. I wish I could say a kindlier thing about them instead -- that they were burglars, or hat-rack thieves, or something like that, that wouldn't be utterly uncomplimentary. I would prefer it, but I can't say those things, they would not be true. These people were practical jokers, and I will not try to disguise it. In other respects they were plenty good-enough people; honest people; reputable and likable.

S.L. Clemens The Autobiography of Mark Twain. Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

NO. when a circ saw binds, it always jumps backward.

Reply to
RemodGuy

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

Now that my pain and anger have faded, I can share this one...

I don't have any kind of motorized way of sawing up turning wood yet. I had been sawing on a pretty good hunk of wood for awhile with a bow saw, and I had gotten it almost sawn in half. I grew impatient, and grabbed a baby sledge to whack it and finish it off.

Right as I was standing and turning with the sledge, SWMBO burst into the shop with a screeching HI HONEY!!!!!!!!!!!

I let go of the sledge, and POW, smacked the spindle on my weeks-old JET mini. I bent it, and the lathe was ruined in an instant. Not bent by much, but it was definitely *way* out of whack after that.

(Well, I was able to fix it with a new spindle for $40, and the little guy runs like a champ again. Still, it was heart wrenching seeing my practically new baby incapacitated like that, and so senselessly.)

As y'all might imagine, we had a fight that day.

We still haven't come to any good resolution on the issue either. I have no windows, and no way of seeing out of the shop. It's hard for anyone to know what I'm doing in there, and impossible to open the door without startling me. So the result is that she no longer calls me to dinner or says hello when she gets home. It's sort of a wedge between us.

I'm thinking about rigging up a light switch on the outside or something, so she can blink a light and get my attention, so I'll come out without her having to scare the bajeezus out of me and maybe send me to the emergency room.

Reply to
Silvan

I'll never look at a fishing pole the same way again after reading that.

Reply to
Silvan