Crappy Plywood

This might seem like Déjà vu for some, because I'm pretty sure I've posted about this before, but it bears repeating.

What's the deal with this crappy plywood!? There was a day when the squarest, straightest, flattest thing in the room was a sheet of plywood. I'm working with 54 sheets of 1/2" 4-ply BC and at least half of them aren't square. I realize I'm not talking about $75 Baltic birch cabinet grade stuff, here, but can we at least get it down to 1/8" or closer?

I'm sure when the machines are cranking this stuff out, they can adjust the cutters periodically. How difficult is is it? I guess I wouldn't be so pissed off if it weren't for the fact that I've gotten "expensive" plywood that was crooked, too.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the last sheet I ripped had a big bubble pop up in the middle because it wasn't glued. Yeah, it looks like two 8ft. pieces of pita bread.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I have taken plywood back when the surface is not glued down. Additionally, and this will confuse you even more, my supplier offers donestic and import plywood. Domestic is always more expensive and not always better. ;~(

Reply to
Leon

Wood shipped to China, sent back as wood potato chips, light on the glue.

What the world thinks of the US the past 8 years ...

Prepare yourself for more of the same.

Reply to
Swingman

The stuff that opened up in the middle after cutting will be going back.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Where did you buy it. I'll be sure to avoid that place.

Reply to
Michael

Unfortunately for people who still care about craftsmanship, that's the world today. People see an $600 armoire from Ikea and think it's quality. I mean hey, at least Ikea is using solid wood in many of their items, now, instead of all termite vomit. That's where the bar is set now.

In my strategy to adapt to survive, I've actually been doing a lot of furniture assembly for good cash. People buy all this "boxed furniture" and it's a very daunting task to put it all together if you've never done it before. I've gotten pretty quick at it and even know to bring spare parts and proper glue with me.

After having assembled so many different brands of this crap, I've actually been brainwashed into being encouraged when I run into an Ikea box. At least with Ikea, it's designed well, the metal parts aren't going to snap, there's some actual solid wood in many components, and I'm not going to have to preemptive repairs to ward off call-backs. I show up to the client's house'office and see an Ikea box and I'm like, "Oh great, the good stuff." How sick is that? :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Quality Control via the consumer, shift the scrap down the hill, and you know what runs down hill.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

I'd say damned sick, then again it may be better built than some of the houses it's going in ....

Reply to
Swingman

Last time we needed furniture (a credenza) we went to a consignment store. Paid $300 for a used one made by a company in Tennessee. All hardwood (cherry outside), dovetailed drawers, very well made.

Next time I go downstairs to the family room, I'll check the name and post it - maybe they still make quality stuff.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

True, very true.

Reply to
OFWW

You know that termite vomit is the Scandinavian way, do you not? I sleep in a very pretty bed that was very expensive 30 years ago, with a lot of real teak on it, but any large flat surface has MDF or a reasonable facsimile thereof underneath.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Chinese plywood? The cheapest crap you could buy?

Reply to
clare

If you enjoy sleeping in termite vomit, I certainly won't stop you.

Reply to
krw

No idea the country of origin. The cheapest I could buy? Yes, in my area. It's BCX, and I'm building industrial storage bins, so I don't expect nor even want perfection. What I *do* reasonably expect is for basic, minimum quality standards for plywood to be met.

Among the minimum quality standards are 1. straight & square, and 2. the plies of the "ply"wood to actually be glued together. Without the latter, I submit that it's not even plywood, but simply a quantity of stacked veneers.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I wouldn't think it would pass the spec for structural plywood, which is what CDX is. It's probably on the roofs of 90% of the houses built today, though. Perhaps you should use roofing nails to fasten it back together?

Reply to
krw

LMAO! I literally laughed out loud at that. That's probably what the Home Depot guy will tell me when I return it.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Works for me. However I really should just killfile. People who call MDF "termite vomit" and like Toyota have something _wrong_ with them.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Where to you live that they use CDX ply on 90% of roofs? Around hear better than 90% is one or another type of OSB. Terrible stuff, in my opinion.

Reply to
clare

No, I don't like termite vomit for furniture and Ikea is the worst of the worst. Like many here, at least one would expect in a NG with "woodworking" in its name, that most like real wood. Yes, I appreciate fine things. Sue me.

I don't have a particular fondness for Toyotas either but you're welcome to guess again.

You really are one sensitive bastard. Please do killfile me if you can't stand a disagreement. You simply aren't worth it.

Reply to
krw

Anywhere hurricanes/high winds are an issue. My houses have all had CDX roof decking, even in Vermont (where ice and water was the issue). OSB is often used on walls, with CDX corners, but anyone who uses it on roofs should be taken out and shot.

Reply to
krw