Craigslist...You can't make this stuff up! : )

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/3405540583.html

I can believe it.... on Freecycle someone was looking for old and/or broken tools. I had a sizable pile of old (as in very old, obsolete, rotten, rusty, broken) yard, garden, and shop tools that the former home owner had collected. All had rotten handles from being left outside, the adze was used for gardening, etc. I had them in a pile to break down for the scrap yard and trash as they were all truly beyond repair. It turns out it was an artist who takes stuff like that and paints and shellacs/lacquers them, and then sells the stuff at craft fairs. She was thrilled to have the stuff and I saved myself the trouble of breaking them down and hauling them away. No self respecting tool guy would want the stuff in his shop or tool shed!

Art. Riiiiiiiiiiiight.
-- While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our creativity, or our glorious uniqueness. -- Gilda Radner
Larry Jaques wrote:

I really was barely interested in hack saws, but when I took a look anyway, I was really surprised--mildly amused even. We can't blame the "artistic" craigslist poster--they just weren't what she saw.

The saw on the upper right of the picture has an older style handle and the 5-nut pattern that fits a D7, D8, D17, D100 and No. 120 Acme types made by Disston. The handle has too fine a curve to be a D23. It also has brass nuts and a sway back blade, plus it has a lot of metal left. It was not a piece of junk when new, and unless badly pitted is probably better than any $50 handsaw you can buy new today.
If it was close by, it would be worth taking a look at and offering something depending on condition and maker. The other 4 are worthy only to be turned into scraper blades and recycle after salvaging the sawbolts and nuts to sell on ebay. Just my $0.02.
Regards, Roy

On 11/12/2012 7:03 PM, Bill wrote:

ok, so what's wrong with that?
--
Steve Barker
Steve Barker wrote:

Someone must have guided them to correct their ad. It originally said "Hacksaws".
On 11/14/2012 11:17 AM, Bill wrote:

OHhhhhhhhhhhhh. Ok. LOL!
--
Steve Barker