Craigslist Sue by Ebay

Page 1 of 2
I heard today that Ebay is suing craigslist. I for one benefitted immensely from craigslist. When we moved from the Midwest to SF, I sold all my woodworking machines, cars and other household items on craigslist. I bought most of my woodworking tools and two used cars in SF Bay area craigslist.
What do you think, Ebay a greedy sob?
Add pictures here
✖

Well they're not suing for anything entirely obvious. The statment claims:
"Craigslist executives took actions that 'unfairly diluted eBay's economic interest by more than 10%'"
What does that crap mean, exactly? I don't know. Nonetheless, if eBay is behind it, you can be almost certain that it's not a friendly action.
Add pictures here
✖

According to: http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2008/04/23/no-one-puts-ebay-in-a-corner.aspx
eBay owns a stake of craigslist. So the numbers there aren't eBay's portion of the online market, but eBay's portion of the market that is on craigslist. The details are apparently not all public, so it is anyone's guess whether the claim is justified or not.
--
Drew Lawson And I know there's more to the story
I know I need to see more
On Apr 23, 8:58 pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Amen. I don't sell there, but I've bought there quite a bit, and it's now really not worth the hassle, having been burned a couple times. I've looked at hand planes there for ages, and just last week I stopped my email updates. Used Lie-Nielsen and Veritas planes go for 90% or more of what I can get them brand new. I'd rather establish a relationship with the manufacturer, who's frequently willing to provide a set screw or other part at no charge if needed. It's a no brainer.
For other tools, there are better prices elsewhere - toolsplus, amazon, etc... Google is your friend. JP
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:
Plus their customer

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
wrote:
Plus their customer

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Add pictures here
✖
My wife just had one of those wonderful Ebay experiences this morning, fortunately only on a $20 item..
--
I think mine was only a $9.00 purchase...
Oh well, lessons learned.

This was paid with paypal, Kate... but they don't do the free insurance anymore...
We're still waiting... even though Ebay no longer has them as registered sellers, they sent an email claiming that the package was shipped on the 24th...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Add pictures here
✖

I've used Craigslist several times, but only for purchases that are in the same city and I can go pick up the item personally. Knowing where the seller lives and that fact that they're local brings with it a certain amount of buyer protection.
Add pictures here
✖

As of 5/1, sellers can no longer post negative feedback for buyers.
On the other hand, when I'm a seller I post positive feedback on receipt of payment. As to holding feedback hostage, you'd be blown away by the number of buyers who never bother to post feedback, even after several intra-eBay email requests of:
- "Did the item arrive and was it what you expected?" - "If the item was unsatisfactory, please let me know. If it was, please post positive feedback." - "Did the item arrive as you expected and in good time?" - "eBay operates on a feedback system. I've posted positive feedback to your account, and I'd love it if you'd do the same. If there is a problem, please contact me at once, so I may rectify the problem."
A buyer search shows the buyer on eBay and bidding on other items, so they got the message...
No response, NONE! No feedback... 8^( For all I know, the item was lost by the USPS!
As a small seller, I perfectly understand sellers who won't post feedback until the buyer will, and am changing my own policies to do the same.
✖
B A R R Y wrote: ...

If you have a significant number of +-ive's, what difference does one more make?
I've never bothered to post +-ive feedback, unlikely ever would for that reason...
If I got an e-mail, I'd almost certainly answer it (if didn't have to go thru the p-poor eBay site, that is) but still highly unlikely to actually post anything.
✖

Then why should I post it for you?
✖
B A R R Y wrote:

No reason...
✖

Let me suggest some reasons.
- To say thank you to the seller - To let the seller know you're happy with the transaction - To do your part in creating a sellers reputation (good or bad)
To your point of "What does it matter?"
I've been an eBay member since 11/98 with a grand total of ~ 180 transactions, averaging 18 per year. I have a 100% positive feedback of 156. Some people leave feedback, and repeat transactions don't count, so I don't have a 180. My rating is split 50/50 between buying and selling. I use eBay as on online yard sale, buying and selling personal goods (tools, bicycle parts, household items), not as an income generating business.
Sometimes, you may be my first "seller" transaction in months, or even a year. Your feedback DOES matter greatly in this case, which is why the eBay "Feedback Tutorial" greatly encourages buyers to leave something.
✖
B A R R Y wrote:

So 157 will somehow be magically "better"? I don't think so.
Might as well reinstate the "me too" postings here in r.w for all the good it really does. If you had none or 10 or as few as maybe even 20, it might lend some credence. After that, the die is cast--either your reputation is good or it isn't.
As for "thank you", it's a commercial transaction and at a distance. I'm not making a social commitment here... :)
I've used eBay for longer than that for sure but have no count of number of transactions -- certainly under 50, though, and as far as I know what feedback I have received is all +-ive, but I don't know. I've bought stuff from the quarter novelty rack to a $5,000 piece of industrial equipment (40-ft manlift, actually). I communicated with every seller outside the lousy eBay webmail interface to arrange shipping and or payment (rural, nonconventional address requires that) and have universally exchanged appropriate greetings during (and sometimes after) those exchanges. What is seen publicly is nil, however.

✖
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

"Customer Service" is a script that replies with canned statements based on keywords. What a joke.
Then there are the new "Detailed Seller Ratings"... <G>
As a seller, we can't see who rates us at what level, so we have no idea who didn't like our description, shipping time, etc... One rating less than 5 really beats up small volume folks like me.
When I first started earning DSR stars, I could tell who rated me what, as each rating came in one at a time.
I got a "4/5" for shipping cost, when I actually paid more than I charged the buyer for shipping. The proof was right on the box, as I used Priority Mail. The same moron gave me a "4/5" on shipping time, when I shipped the package the SAME DAY his money order arrived. Proof was also on the postal label Why is he a moron? His feedback to me said "Great deal, cheap and super fast shipping!" Go figure...
I expect, and usually get, 5/5 DSR stars on all categories, as I break my ass to provide excellent service, underpromise and overdeliver, anddescribe my items very conservatively. Someone who dosen't understand the process, and may have personal belief that "nothing is perfect in life" costs a little guy like me 1/2 a star. The effect? DSR's change your listing placing during searches!
How can we improve if we don't know which transaction didn't earn the 5/5 by making the customer happy?
I've been using Craigslist more and more...
Add pictures here
✖

Besiding breaking your ass trying to please your customer, now you have PRC (Chinese) competing with you, like starting bid at $0.01.
Add pictures here
✖
WD wrote:

I always start my bids at a penny, as I'm selling used items.
Add pictures here
✖