Craftsman Twin Cutter

Looks like an angle grinder with twin 6 1/8" carbide blades rotating in opposite directions. Cuts all kinds of material from aluminum, copper, steel, wood to plastic. Cuts thin sheets, tubings, rebars without kickback and without burs. Doesn't seem like the blade, at $50 for the set, will last too long. Its proprietary so if Sears stop making those blades you are dead in the water. Any opinions?

blades now.
On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 17:34:47 -0800, the inscrutable "Kim"

Searz? RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!
========================================================= I drank WHAT? + http://www.diversify.com --Socrates + Web Application Programming
Kim wrote:

I saw one demonstrated on the weekend. While it did look impressive, I see a couple of negatives. First, because you've got blades with guards around them that are probably 7" in diameter, the machine can't get into any kind of tight spot. Most of my need to cut "anything" comes during renovation work. I don't see this as being of much help, because you'd still need the reciprocating saw more often than not.
Cutting loose materials, on the other hand, is better done with stationary tools. Table and miter saws for wood, plastic, aluminum, copper (with non-ferrous blades) and an abrasive cut-off saw for steel.
We share my second concern that the blades will be expensive to maintain, especially if you use this thing to cut steel.
Seems to me like it was a jack of all trades but master of none.
Tim

especially after picturing something jamming between 2 blades that are trying to rotate in 2 different directions.. *shudder*
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Sun, Mar 6, 2005, 5:34pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@chee.net (Kim) asks: <snip> Any opinions? Been reading some good reviews from different car magazines, and car guys.
Looks like it might be something, until you think about it!~

Before this thing came out, Sandor Nagazalczy (sp?), one of the Taunton authors who writes a lot about tools, came to visit our wood club, and talk about tools. He was pretty excited about this thing. Said that it was counterintutive, but there was no kickback at all. Seemed much safer than your average circular saw.
Somebody is making it for Sears...
If I needed something like it, I'd get one. But I don't, yet.
Patriarch