Craftsman Tools at Ace Hardware

Page 1 of 2
Walked in to Ace Hardware yesterday and saw a display for Craftsman tools. I don't know how extensive the collection will be, but it's good news for anyone who's closer to an Ace than a Sears.
I have lots of Craftsman hand tools and I've only had to use their lifetime warranty once. I've never been a fan of their power tools, but their hand tools have never let me down.
(before you state the obvious... that one occasion was the result of me being stupid, not a defect... but they still honored it.)
--

-MIKE-

I've used the free trade in twice.. first time was when I brought in a 3/4" breaker bar that I'd snapped in the middle.. Returned with no questions asked, but you could tell that they wanted to..
I've got craftsman hand tools that are 50 years old and still in use.. good stuff!
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Had an old 1/2" chisel to break. It was replaced with no questions. Went to Sears and asked if they had hammer grip replacements. I thought to purchase the replacement. They offered to replace the hammer. I passed, that particular hammer style was no longer available.... my favorite claw hammer for 25 yrs +.
Sonny

Craftsman power tools wear pretty decent until the late seventies. I have a about a 74 router that still runs , no switch plug and go sound pretty bad, a same vintage belt sander runs like new both these tools have had serious use. As for the router I just bought two on e-bay guessing ones a 74 0nes a 76 the 76 was never used still in the box.. I dont know about their power tools now the last one Ive bought were pretty bad. At one time their craftsman saying was if its electric it will break, if its gas dont worry it wont start

I am pretty new to woodworking and I didn't know that the quality of Craftsman tools had declined since the 70's I personally don't have any craftsman products, but I have always thought highly of them. I guess I think of them being great tools for mechanics. It is an interesting discussion though.

Craftsman hand tools are just as good (just as adequate in some cases?) as they always were. They're covered by the lifetime free replacement warranty, so they have to be good. The power tools are something to be treated with caution. They still have some great ones out there, but you can't trust everything is good. They never were covered by the warranty.
Puckdropper

Puckdropper wrote: ...

I think the quality (most particularly fit and finish) has degraded noticeably from years ago even w/ the hand tools.
I'll allow as how functionally they're still the same or at least nearly so, but many of them are noticeably cheaper. I've had warranty repair or replacement of several over the last year or three -- specific instances I can think of otomh...
Linesmans' pliers dating from late 60's -- eldest son got in head to try them on #10 fencing wire and put a circle in the cutter. Replacement is much rougher casting and the rubber handles are coarse, prickly and uncomfortable as compared to the original. Do seem to be ok functionally but if were comparing and considering purchase rather than replacement, I'd go elsewhere, even if more $$.
1/2" Ratchet drive age unremembered, newer than above but in 70s/early 80s at latest -- retention ball spring lost compression and began either letting socket simply fall off or if adjusted ball position it wouldn't budge at all. Local (small catalog store) did have replacement repair kit in stock for an atta-boy, but it had black pressure knob instead of the original matching chrome and the gears themselves appear thinner stamped instead of forged so don't think it'll hold up as long as the original. The spring/detent ball problem reappeared albeit somewhat reduced within a couple days of use (quite a lot of use in that time as was hanging feedlot gates and repairing rail which entailed driving a large number of lag bolts but really--again in that time?). I'll probably go back in at some point when it gets too annoying again and see what a demand for a tradeout entirely would yield. Meanwhile, the original S-K I remember from a kid in the 50s that stayed on the farm while I went of and engineer'ed for 35 years or so is still functional w/ only an occasional slip of a gear.

re: "I've only had to use their lifetime warranty once."
Once?
*Once?*
Don't you use Phillips screw drivers? I can't tell you how many worn Phillips screwdrivers, of all different sizes, I've traded in. As soon as they get the slightest bit rounded, back they go. Better I make a trip to the store than strip a screw when I least need it to happen.
My favorite trade-in was when I broke a Craftsman flat blade screw driver on a Craftsman belt sander. :-)
I had a POS Craftsman belt sander that required you to push down (back?) on the front roller to loosen the belt. The roller would lock "loose" and then you had to stick a flat object in a slot and kind of pry it backward to POP! release it. I used a Craftsman flat blade screw driver and the tip broke off. A bit ironic, if I do say so....
I've traded in ratchet handles, locking pliers, pry bars, countless screwdrivers and a few other items over the years.

re: "I've only had to use their lifetime warranty once."
Once?
*Once?*
Don't you use Phillips screw drivers? I can't tell you how many worn Phillips screwdrivers, of all different sizes, I've traded in. As soon as they get the slightest bit rounded, back they go. Better I make a trip to the store than strip a screw when I least need it to happen.
Let me give you a small hint/trick to make your Philips head screw drivers last longer before rounding. If you grinde a little of the point off, the tip will actually seat deeper and better in the screw head. Often the screw heads are short/not as deep, compared to the longer point on the driver tip.

That's why I tend to avoid the #1 head Phillips screw drivers. The #2 fits in just about everything a #1 does, and isn't pointy.
Puckdropper

On Jun 11, 2:26pm, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

#2 doesn't fit in a #1 head, and doesn't bottom in #3; you need a set with all the right sizes (as well as Pozidrive and maybe some Japanese standard shapes as well) to do it right. I discourage doing it wrong.
The right tip for a multitip screwdriver, or a custom-ground blade for the old slotted screws, is a joy to use. Get yourself some joy.
Can anyone find a web page that can clarify one thing for me. I was under the impression that a Ponzi and JIS were the same bit. Some equipment I maintain have the JIS screws. And yes the Phillips head often will strip them if it is tight. So I use the Ponzi and usually do not have any stripped screws.
Mike in Ohio

On 6/11/10 2:04 PM, Leon wrote:

Tip of the month.
--

-MIKE-

Perhaps if you bought a better screw driver to begin with, you wouldn't need to keep taking it back. I've Vermont America #2 and #3 phillips that are over 15 years old, have driven thousands of screws with them, and they're still good as new.
scott
On 6/11/10 10:12 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Thousands?!
Discover the cordless drill, friend. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 6/12/2010 12:15 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Thing about it, 20,000 screws (he didn't say "tens of thousands" so place an upper bound at 20,000) over 15 years is four or so a day.
wrote the following:

I was there as many as three times a week, usually in bandages, replacing broken Crapsman hand tools in the mid to late 70s, and I got crap about it several times, having to talk to the store manager, not just the department manager, a few times. F*CK SEARZ!
--
Impeach 'em ALL!
On 6/11/10 1:53 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Hmmmmmm........
--

-MIKE-

Not professional grade, but for a home DIY'r, good value. Only you can decide.
nb
On 6/11/10 4:43 PM, notbob wrote:

I wouldn't say that. I know some pro mechanics who use them.
--

-MIKE-