Craftsman Table Saw/New Fence/New Splitter.

I am trying NOT to buy a cabinet saw. Partially because I am sharing my "shop" with a car I love and am thus short of space. I have gotten to the point where taking the blade guard and splitter on and off my craftsman saw is becoming a real problem in terms of time and effeciency, and I need more outfeed table space. I am about to buy a new Biesemeyer fence for the saw and build a couple of large outfeed tables. At the same time I would like to get rid of the blade guard and splitter and replace them with something that makes it easier to switch from rip cuts to cross cuts.

So I wondered if anybody out there has gotten rid of their factory blade guard and splitter for a craftsman saw and what they used as a replacement. I guess the splitter is the item that I see has the hardest to replace right now.

Thanks.

Reply to
Pat

Thom

There are numerous splitters that you can buy and make your self that simply mount to the insert. You can also buy an overhead guard.

Your first sentence has got my attention. Why did you make that statement? A cabinet saw does not take up any more room than a contractors saw and is not necessarily easier to change the splitter or guard.

With that said, I build pretty high quality furniture and only use one blade. I remove my blade simply to have it sharpened or to mount a dado set. With your saw set up properly with a good combo blade you do not need to change blades to go from a rip to a cross cut.

Reply to
Leon

I am trying to get around having to remove the blade guard and splitter everytime I want to put the cross-cut sled on. Plus the way the guard fits onto the saw makes it a little tricky to have an outfeed table on the back of the saw though the real culprit here is the rear rail from the Stock Craftsman fence.

I was thinking about getting a Powermatic cabinet saw. But moving it around would be a little trickier than where I'm at today with the craftsman & custom cart I built plus the 230 socket is on the other side of the shop and so on the other side of the car.. it's a mess thats seems like it would be easier to fix with a new fence, folding outfeed table, removable splitter and new blade guard.

Reply to
Pat

OK, I see.

;~) Oh no, spend the big bucks. LOL. I am sure you know it but in case you don't, the PM 2000 has built a built in mobile base. You can make yourself an extension cord to reach that outlet way over there.

Or, do what you are thinking about. Good Luck

Look at the MJ splitter for a splitter that is really cheap and works pretty good.

Reply to
Leon

I have been using my (my dad's) Craftsman table saw for over 25 years now. I can't remember a time when the guard and splitter was on it except for the first month or so he had it.

I just have a very health respect for this machine and what it can do. I practice strict safety when ever I use the saw, ever vigilant for kickbacks etc, and make sure I don't stand directly behind the wood as I move it past the blade.

Never been a problem (knock on wood...)

Pat wrote:

Reply to
mapdude