craftsman table saw decent?

Page 2 of 2

Just get a mobile base for it and you'll have no trouble at all moving it around. I don't know much about Craftsman table saws, but I do know that at least one model comes with a custom mobile base that appears to be a good one.
LRod wrote:

Absolutely. My grandpa has had a Chevy Caprice outside since 1972, and it's still fine. The paint looks a little rough, mind you, but who cares what a car looks like? :)

D. Mo
\> I stopped by sears to take a look at it and it looks like a fairly

I'd go with the full size contractor saw...you won't be sorry. I have the same saw, except I got the one with the router wing and mobile base, and I am quite happy with it. Once I trued everything up right, it cuts perfectly square, and it's still true almost a year later. It's real easy to move around the garage on the mobile base too. I did have to do a little filing where the two-piece rail fits together, but the fence isn't bad. Once set, it locks down square every time, and is much better than you'd get on a benchtop saw. The router table works great also (although it's drilled for only Craftsman or Ryobi routers), and it will save you that much more shop space. I think the router wing model would serve you better...even if you don't use the router table, you get the cast iron wing plus the mobile base for nearly the same price. I got mine for $449 (Craftsman Club days), and it went on sale a couple months later for $399. The manager went ahead and credited me the $50, which was pretty nice of them.
Tom
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I miss that show so much. I saw Jill the other day on Law and Order, covering for her murdering teenage daughter or something. Tim is of course busy playing Santa Claus.

I'm making due with a "$200" saw that I got for $50. Whatever the OP is looking at, I'll bet it's something I'd love to have myself.
One thing about starting with a crappy saw, it teaches you to appreciate a good one when you get it. It's hard to get much crappier than a Skil 3400. You can do it, but you have to get a saw at Big Lots or something.
Whether or not I would consider the OP's saw in question a "crappy" one I can't say. I know everybody hates Crapsman, and I sure hate my Crapsman POS 2000 router. Buying a Crapsman as my trade-up saw would probably be a mistake.
It's not off the table though. I might get a Crapsman. One thing about Sears, they're *there*. Most of this other stuff is mail order or drive to Big City USA. Lowe's stocks three table saws. HD has the BT3100 and the Skil 3400; maybe a Makita or Hitachi benchtop. Reed's has a few benchtops from Delta and Makita and such. Nobody stocks JET, nobody carries a full line of Delta... Motor freight isn't cheap, and it's an added PITA. I like to just buy the damn thing and take it home.
I looked at Delta and I looked at Crapsman when I had $300 to spend on a DP. I got the Crapsman.
I got the Crapsman when I needed a drill too.
Circular saw...
I guess 1/3 of my power tools are from there, and I use them all the time. No, I'm not above buying Crapsman again. I won't buy another one of these horrible routers though.
In rec.woodworking

i just heard that the actor that played Wilson died of lung cancer.
Bruce wrote:

Bummer. :(
note that the aluminum front rail is joined from two pieces. I have no idea why they did that, but it's a pain. a buddy of mine has that saw and I found the discontinuity aggravating. other than that it runs OK, has adequate power for what it is and seems to adjust easily. I haven't gotten into the works of it to be able to tell you if or how easily it can be tuned up, nor have I tried to do any precise or heavy work with it.     Bridger
On 30 Dec 2003 07:28:10 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Chad Cunningham) wrote:

If you have some time, you can probably get something better second hand. TS rarely wear out. I've seen nice Deltas for $150. I have two Craftsmen that are about 25 years old! They work very well, but the fences are not so hot. Wilson

pid922839000).
The saw is fine, and a decent buy for $400. However...
1) You can get a slightly used saw that is just as good for $200. Moving it is a real pain, but you avoid the pain of assembling it! 2) I would not recommend a saw with less then a 27" deep table, but if you are truly going to just do light stuff, they make serviceable 20" deep saws for rather less money.
In rec.woodworking snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Chad Cunningham) wrote:

My only recommmendation is to find $59 more and buy the version with the cast iron router wing and fence. I have that saw and I'm happy with it but....
It didn't run true and is a ROYAL pain in the ass to adjust if the blade isn't square to the mitre slots.
It really isn't powerful enough to do long rips on 8/4 hardwood, even with a Forrest WWII blade.
The fence is nice but, as one guy mentioned, the fact that the rail is in two pieces makes is a pain in the ass. I had to fiddle and fuss with mine, including filing on it to get the fence to slide over the joint smoothly.
As long as it uses the belt drive it should be okay, for a couple hundred you can't go wrong, and if you don't enjoy it someone will snap it up from you quick.
Dave

pid922839000).
I assembled one of them for a friend and it wasn't all that bad. He loves it. Personally I like my old Rockwell better. Go buy that baby it's going to be the best TS you have ever owned.
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 21:42:17 GMT, "David Babcock"

When I was TS shopping, I also had about a $400 limit. And I came very close to getting that one. But, this one (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL& pid924830000&bidsite=null) was on sale for the exact same price (now $60 more). It's the exact same saw plus an accessory kit.
But that $60 gets you alot of extras: - mobile base (alone worth the extra dough) - dust collection cover (plate on bottom with 4" hole) - router mounting kit (kind a sucky tho) - micro-adjusting feature on the fence (nice)
The mobile base is worth the $60. That suckers gonna be a PITA to move without one. If you're like me (working in your garage), it is a necessity. Making one will prolly cost $60 for the casters and materials or a new ready-made one will cost more.
As for the rest of the items, well, after the mobile base they are basically free.
If this saw (with the accessories) is out, the saw that you are looking at does have the mountings for the micro-adjuster, you could probably get it separately from Sears Parts and install it yourself.
Actually, in the end, I got a used Craftsman contractor saw (2HP [15A/110V or 7.5A/220V], cast iron top and wings, Jet Xacta fence, mobile base, dust collection plate, link belt with machined pulleys, Freud combo blade, and more for about $325). Then I used the extra $75 towards a Incra V27 with the fence/stop combo.
[sorry for the drive-by gloat, but with a little time you can get a great deal on a used]
Anyhoo, just throwing that out there. Don't you hate it when you say you have a budget and someone knucklehead tells you to spend more anyway?
Scott

pid922839000).
I have a Delta Contr. saw-that I made a mobile base for 'cause it's a heavy sucker! I work outside (when I can) here in Montana and need to move it over rough surfaces (dirt and gravel) to use it. I made a frame across the bottom of the sheet metal stand it's on, mounted 8" lawnmower wheels on the frame so that they're approx. 1/8" off the ground. Simply tilt the saw forward a bit and drive it like a wheelbarrow. It sits outside (tarped, of course) as we speak with about 8" of snow on the tabletop. Seems the garage is too full of other crap to take it inside...hmmm.... maybe I make some room in there come Spring. Sure am glad I made up that ultra-durable hard wax last summer-- everything on the saw that's metal is coated with it.
Roger

Chad,
Bought the one with the router table wing a few years ago. Not the greatest saw out there but certainly worth you $200 out-of-pocket cost!
Good luck and happy New Year! Bill
--

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
-Theodore Roosevelt
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Chad Cunningham) wrote in message

I used that saw last week at a friend's house. It's just fine. You will be able to do a lot of nice work on it.
Don't buy a benchtop saw. I used a Delta benchtop saw for a few years and it was totally frustrating. I now have a Jet contractor's saw and don't find it to be any more accurate than my friend's Craftsman.
Go for it.
Dick Durbin