Craftsman / Ryobi Router 2hp Depth Ring Jammed

I have a Craftsman model 315.269210 I use upside down with a router table. It has a ring to turn to adjust the depth / elevation of the bit.
It has come to the point where it is nearly impossible to turn the ring. I suspect sawdust has drifted down into where the housing is threaded and jammed the ring.
I have is somewhat disassembled, having the shaft out, but I cannot get the metal base away from the plastic housing. Is there a way to disassemble the router the clear out the sawdust? Is there any other way to deal with this problem?
The design seems unbelievably bad.
Thanks Mike Thomas

Easy enough to fix. Go to www.coastaltool.com More specially:
http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/cata/rout_plun.htm?L+coastest+vknk5890ffae00ae+1115077612
For less than $200 they will take that router and make it work just like a DeWalt. Or Bosch, Or , well, you get the idea.