Craftsman Router

stator or ARMATURE?

dave

Old Salty Frog wrote: . To my supprise I

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Motors with brushes DO make sparks, known as "Universal motors", and this is normal. Broken brushes... not normal on a new tool.

Reply to
Leon

Well for sure the router does not generate electricity...;~)

Reply to
Leon

I have a friend that had a similar experience with a Craftsman router, although I don't think it was the same model. He found that pieces of debris had fallen into the vent ports while mounted in the table. When the router was later started the debris tore the windings apart.

Nova

Not entirely unusual for an armature commutator failure in a relatively new motor. It is made from thick brass pieces that develop a good amount of outward directed weight as it spins. They depend upon non metallic insulating materials to hold them in place and any defect will cause a quick failure as they are first subjected to some heat and high speeds. If they pull apart even slightly, They will break the brushes.

Sears' motto is 'Satisfaction guaranteed, or your money back.' I would do that rather than wait for a warrantee repair. Take it to the Sears' service desk.

Reply to
Chipper Wood

Hi guys

This is a first for me with newsgroups and I don't know if it is alright to put a question about my router.

I bought a Craftsman Prosessional Plunge Router (Model No

315.248870) in July 2002. I used it two to three times at the most. Last time that I used it ( yeasterday afternoon), sparks and/or arc was showing through the vent slots. Not wanting to do damage to it, I stop it immediately. Since it is monted on a router table I reached under and touched the router body to see if it as hot. It was cold and I tought so since I only done about two feet of edging on a soft piece of spruce. So, I hit the triger but to my dismay it would not go. I checked the plug and the fuse box to no avail.

This morning I took the souter off the table and as I handled it some thing seemed to giggle inside the casing. I turned it right side up and then upside down hoping what ever was loose would come out. All I got was some small black pieces of what the motor brushes are made of. Upon investigating the brushes, one of them had broke in half.

I opened the casing hoping to retreived the broken particle of the the brush before inserting a new one. To my supprise I found three or four small pieces of the stater all chewed up. Needless to say I am returning this router for service. Has any of you had a similar experience? What could have caused the brush to desintergrate? What did I do wrong? This router is brand spanking new. What gives?

Gill

Reply to
Old Salty Frog

The part thet rotates with the shft.

Reply to
Old Salty Frog

There was a time, maybe 15 years ago, when I ONLY bought Sears tools. Now, I will buy ANYTHING BUT! Not just their routers, one of which I junked, but also their sabre saws and other stuff.

Reply to
Bob Moody

I have a sears router, got it about the same time. The plastic thing in the top to lock the shaft to allow the bits to be changed sticks so I have to lay the router on its side and smack it with my palm to get it to slide. I took the router apart and cleaned it out but it didn't help, I didn't see anything worn or broken. Making my first cabinet I found out all the slots for shelves were varying depths because the plunge lock doesn't hold tight enough. I've had it lift up and plunge down going all the way through the wood and ruining it. I had a 1/4" spiral upcut bit come out of the collet once, it started to feel funny and I released the trigger just in time. The router bits I bought to go with it got dull the first use. I still like Craftsman hand tool. I have bought plenty of wrenches, sockets, etc, broke one or two and they replace them with no problem. My sears Dishwasher and stove and microwave are great. Sears power tool, I won't buy anymore. I have made good friends with a couple employees at the sears in the new mall near where I work, my salery being doubled two years ago has helped my to buy a lot more tools and they know me well. So I get to mention from time to time how I wish I could buy a new table saw, drill press, lathe, etc if they would bring back the quality. Hopefully the message will work its way back up the chain.

Reply to
Eugene

He's already too late. They only guarantee their power tools for one year! Already been through this with 2HP fixed base Crapsman, over 1yr. old, less than 1hr. total time, main bearing heated up, heat loosened plastic cooling fan on shaft, it walked up the shaft & ate up the stator winding. Ended up ordering new stator & bearing & fixed it myself.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Eugene wrote: [snip] Hopefully the

It hasn't so far. whine, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Old Salty Frog thought it a good use of my time to say:

Hi

Used to work in Sears Hardware(~14-15 years ago). They then had just gone back to making the Craftsman(badged) hand(mechanics) tools in America. Had a guy come in with a 60 quart ice chest full of broken tools. He dumped them on the floor and left! The Sears badged tools are China/Japan/Honduras/whatever. Power tools are a different story-small hand(dremel-type) tools were made by Ryobi/B&D. Larger(drills, router, etc) were B&D. Table top saws/drill presses were Delta. 1 Year warranty on all tailed stuff. After that, "We can sell you a new one, and a Maintenance Agreement to go with it"

SEARS:

Serious Errors Associated with Retail Services

BTW, The Kenmore line is made by their "suppliers", as well. Maytag, Whirlpool, Hotpoint, etc

Reply to
Sysiphus

The Warranty is only good for a year unless you purchased the the extra protection plan.

Reply to
Big John

Hi

Thanks to many of you did answer my question and I am very greatful and endebted to you.

Your answers were must appreciated and I will take my router back to Sears and obtain a replacement. Try to get a replacement although it is still on the waranty. Sears my just want to service it - this is also OK by me.

Thanks guys

Gill

Reply to
Old Salty Frog

Reply to
A. Ryall

Gee - I don't know about you guys - I have a Sears 1/4" router all aluminum body, pistol grip handles circa 1963 that has held together perfectly for over 40 years. Guess they don't make 'em like they used to. Think I still have the manual that shows the PROPER way to cut is against the rotation of the bit - a climb cut.

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron

If it is rotating clockwise and the cut you are describing is:

And that is not the way the manual on the new router I got says to use it.

Reply to
Todd Rich

Reply to
Hisself