Craftsman Radial Arm Saw

Page 1 of 2
Looks like Sears is abandoning the radial arm saws. Sears has only one saw model listed and almost no accessories available . I need a new top and they used to display a replacement top kit that looked like it had a laminate surface. Anybody have an older tool catalog that still show this? I'll bet they still have warehouse stock if I can come up with a part number.
Kevin
ks wrote:

If you have the model number for your saw you should be able to order a replacement top from Sears parts. I don't see a laminate surface as being an advantage.
There's no magic there though--all you really _need_ is a half sheet of MDF and the saw itself.
Note that there is a recall on Sears saws that if yours qualifies gets you a new top for free.
http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com /
--John
" I don't see a laminate surface as being an advantage.
The idea of course is to strengthen the table top and help prevent warping. It should be easy enough to make your own.
Walt Conner
Actual the idea I like the best is moisture resistance. It's disappointing how much damage the sweat from cold pop can will do.
Kevin

ks wrote:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID958 should take care of that.
But any RAS top should have a sacrificial piece. If you really want it to be moisture resistant above all else use a piece of acrylic for that, but I find that tempered hardboard or thin ply is adequately moisture resistant.
By the way, here's a very nice solution to sweating soda cans (Amazon.com product link shortened)75399370&sr=8-2 that keeps them cold for hours. If you're interested get one now--it's no longer listed on the Thermos site.

--John
ks wrote: | Actual the idea I like the best is moisture resistance. It's | disappointing how much damage the sweat from cold pop can will do.
Kevin...
It's not difficult to make your own new top. I have a web page at the link below showing the exterior grade plywood replacement top for my RAS.
If you make a habit of putting cold pop cans on the table, a couple of light coats of wipe-on poly might be a good idea - I did that to the right extension on my saw (because I occasionally park a coffee mug there) and found that it offers fairly good protection and make it easy to completely clean up any spills.
-- Morris Dovey DeSoto Solar DeSoto, Iowa USA http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/RAS_Table.html

Mine qualified for the recall and just came in with the new top. Same as before - particle board. My old one had swollen due to moisture (it's humid here in Houston) and I would appreciate thoughts on the best preventative. Should I paint, varnish, epoxy coat or what? I'd like to protect this one from the same fate. Any advice will be appreciated.
I sealed all the exposed edges with tung oil and haven't had a problem.

I've replaced the original top on my RAS twice since it was new in 1978. I use 3/4" MDF sealed with polyurethane, all sides. It's just about due for replacement again.
Max

Even though they may only list one model you still need the model number to search for the parts. Model numbers are usually on the product in a visible location. Look for an aluminum, silver, or white tag that has a number stamped into it. Check your Radial Arm Saw in the following location(s) to find the model number.
On Plate on Tube Cap
On Plate at Side of Base
On Right Side of Base
On Left Side of Base
Use that number when searching for parts by model number. Then you can try to order if from sears at this link. Link:
http://www3.sears.com/
For further assistance email Sears directly with your information.
no, the OEM replacement top that is readily available is not what I want. Sears used to offer an improved top as an accessory.

ks wrote:

Just go to their site and look up the parts catalog using your saw's model number.
You could also make one yourself. I replaced the top on mine and "rolled my own" with MDF
no, the OEM replacement top that is readily available is not what I want.

Let me restate
Anybody have an older tool catalog that still show the Sears accessory replacement top? I'll bet they still have warehouse stock if I can come up with a part number.
I do NOT want the exact OEM replacement.
Kevin

I don't own one of these but I used our son-in-laws machine, that he inhereted from his father, a few weeks ago. He had just installed an MDF replacement and it looked great. He didn't mention any difficulty.
RonB

"Actual the idea I like the best is moisture resistance"
How many pop cans do you set on the bottom side? They were laminated top and bottom. Strength, warp, was the main reason.
Walt Conner
No the factory top is bare 5/4 presswood, and so is the OEM replacement. That why I was looking to the upgraded replacement top Sears sold until a few months ago.

ks wrote:

Okay, IF it was only a few months ago, why not try a Google search. Might turn up a page that got crawled and incorporated into Google's search archives.
If so, even if you get a dead link when you go for it, you can try for the cached version or running that particular URL through:
http://www.archive.org/index.html
You can try sending the existing or similar URL's from Sears through that archive also. You just might turn up what you're looking for.
been there done that .
Thanks

I have a 2005 Sears tool catalog but it doesn't have any "accessory" tops listed. I use 3/4" MDF on my RAS. A couple coats of polyurethane protects it from water spots. *IF* I thought I needed more protection I would put Formica (or similar) on it.
Max