Craftsman Electronic Radial Saw question

Just picked up the above saw at a garage sale. Excellent condition except that that the rip distance indicator does not work. All the other functions work.

While I don't think it is too outlandish to charge $35 for an encoder, having to pay more than $ 10 shipping from Sears is outrageous. Does anybody here know of a second source for parts. Who actually made this saw and is it available under a different brand name.

Thanks for all replies.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

on 5/27/2005 6:11 PM Ivan Vegvary said the following:

Stanley Tool Works and Starret all make replacements for the rip distance indicator on those saws. They are called rulers. I'll be damned if I'd spend $1.00 to replace the damn thing, let alone, $45.00.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

| having to pay more than $ 10 shipping from Sears is outrageous. Does=20 | anybody here know of a second source for parts. Who actually made = this saw=20 | and is it available under a different brand name. |=20 | Thanks for all replies. |=20 | Ivan Vegvary=20 |=20 |=20

Try Emerson. =20

I have one and all systems are still "go".

--=20 PDQ

Reply to
PDQ

Try Emerson.

I have one and all systems are still "go".

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Most of the Craftsman radial arm saws are made by Emerson Electric Company, but don't expect to save any money by ordering parts from them.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I think you will find most people wouldn't rely on these displays for more than rough set and then use separate measuring instruments to precisely set rip distance - IF they rip on the RAS. Far too many variables - fence thickness, blade thickness, stiffner(s), alignment, etc to be sure of accurate cuts. Just measure it.

If the saw is a pre-1993 Sears and is most likely an Emerson, don't overlook the recall on the guard that could give you a more modern (1993 plus) guard style and on some saws gave a new 3pc table as well. Check out

for the details.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Beresnikow

So order it in to your local Sears store and pick it up the next time you are in town. There shouldn't be a shipping charge. BTW if you get (or if the previous owner already received and installed) the new guard and table the rip distance indicator might not work anyhow as the new table sets the fence farther forward than the original. If you have the saw I think you have, I have the non-electronic version. I cannot reset the rip indicator to account for this change in fence location.

Dave Hall

Reply to
Dave Hall