Craftsman Drill Press Problem

Hi!
My old Craftsman drill press has a problem: it is suddenly very difficult to lower the bit (or should I say lower the quill?). Worked fine, then for no obvious reason I have lots of resistance in the mechanism. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.... Tom in PA

Lubrication.
message

You said "suddenly", so while you are lubing it, look for crud in the quill mechanism. You might have some sawdust or chips in there.
Juano
Tom in PA wrote:

Check the obvious.
My Craftsman drill press has a lever to lock the quill in the lowered position. If yours has a similar lever make sure it hasn't been tightened by mistake.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I'll second this. I started to tear into mine a couple of years ago for the same reason. Then I realized the little quill lock had been tightened.
Can't imagine who did it.
RonB
Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. It turned out to just be a clean and lube situation. That surprised me, since it got so rough so fast, but it's good news.
The bad news is that I broke the return spring on re-assembly, so I've had to order a new one. Oh well. At least it was still available for a 20 year old machine.
Tom in PA