Craftsman Compucarver Machine

Page 4 of 4
I'm not even gonna read the other posts. If it has any uses for anyone I'd say it is a step in the right direction. At that price, I wish they made all tools with nc, cnc, dnc capability. I don't know what tools it can use, and I don't know what z- axis travel it has, and I don' t know what x and y axis travel it has. The accuracy and repeatability wouldn't neeed to be tremendous and it would sure be a time saver. The whole theory is not gimmickry, there is beyond belief potential, but most wouldn't go for it, or even consider learning it. It could be taught easily. Not is not a comment on Crafstman. For both metal and wood industries there is a well established language(s) to get these kind of things up and running, and doing various things, and the APT or graphics part just does in visually, it still still spits out the same code language, called post processing. ANSI/EIA RS-274-D-1980 (G code). In industries that actually need this technology, this would be kind of a paperweight, but not a useless novelty. btw, I am pretty sure this m/c's nc language is indeciferable, and (possibly/prob) unusable. As is, prob, its potential to actually do much, unless you actualy need to do what it does, is limited. btw, machines can have digital potioning readout, .001 or .0001 on the machine, or add-on readouts, and NOT at the same timne be able to control the said position. Another major bonus on a basic tool; like if your TS told you how far from the blade you were, say w/i 1/64".
-
iow, you can read the program and see if its what you want; you can write the program in a word processor, and save it as MS DOS TEXT only; its the same as using GUI; its runs all the same. Space for space.
And it could be a time saver, don't know if it can chuck (drils) for instance, in metal, if you had a bunch of holes, some CS, some CB, some normal, some tapered, some reamed smooth and accurate, you could chuck a pilot drill, chuck a drill, chuck a countersink, chuck a counterbore, chuck a smoothing reamer, chuck a drill, and it does the right order to the right positions to the right depths sequentially. It would (possibly) just coem "home" for a tool change. It could limit the amount of work on some features. In industry you chuck a chuck with the drill in it, and have to set thevalue of each offset of z-axis of each and set it into the memory and when you right a line of code you put in rpm, x&y-position, and z-depth, it accomodate algebraically for the offset of the tool. Numbers written may or not eppear theoretically. It is designed not to be confusing. Same principal with the position of the blank when you load it. Accuracy is maintained by using a known accurate corner/hole, or allowing for trimming to using fixtures; rather than using "drill jigs".
-
Even when the code is std. readable , and recognisable using lines and arcs, following through becomes impossible. There are built in "canned cycles' which can take care of your every whim, such as pulling out at intervals to remove chips when drilling a hole as a simple example, and it simplifies the task by not having to fill in the details along the way. Depths of cut of each pass can be specified,a nd the last can be a "special" finish cut, all built in . Say when turning the length of a cylinder. Theres a diameter turning canned cycle, and all you have to do is specify the final diameter when sorting out the in program order, and the post processor will fil in all the lines of the code with all the numbers and the single steps, with all the variables. It can be dozens, hundreds, thousands of lines when post processed. When dealing with a model, a 3D surface, you can't write it, you DRAW the part first and then point to it with the mouse pointer, and then all the lines of the program are generated. I wouldn' t think that reading/learning/following the code in this machine would be possible, especially since it is a carving machine. It also maybe somewhat paint by numbers, as mentioned earlier, which could also simplify things greatly. APT is standing at the machine control panel interface drawing by numbers for a quick part definition.
-
PUNCH CARDS
-
bent wrote:

I think you're right. I won't read yours either.
first.
-
"Anyone have one? or used one"
Apparently not. After 44 posts in response only one writer seemed to have something to offer of a relevant nature - the web site of the Carvewright! http://www.carvewright.com /
But there are 44 opinions left by folks who never touched the machine much less watched it work or operated it.
Well, you said "Any", didn't you? "Appreciate any views or information on this machine"
Elliott wrote:

it won't do your shoes.
-
obviously, on the subject of posting in order, I know what I'm talking about, right
-
I hope I'm not the only one who's priority sort is by date so what's at top is what's current. And I do appologize to those without a news provider, and newsreader, and for the state of the economy, global warming, etc.
-
I'm only too happy to do this:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&catnch+Power+Tools&subcat=Jointers%2C+Planers+%26+Shapers&pid921754000
Didn't find any forums, 'cept a comment or two.
-
For a little more, see the post "cabinet building software", 05/01/2007 4:07 PM
and the link form there: http://www.holzher.com/seite33.htm
-
says...

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&catnch+Power+Tools&subcat=Jointers%2C+Planers+%26+Shapers&pid921754000
Well there are 10 user ratings at that link and the overall rating from those people is 4.5 stars (out of 5). Of those review, 7 of them give it a perfect 5-star rating.
It might be of limited usefulness for most of the folks around here, but the people who own it seem to like it.
Well, the Rockcliff homebuilt machine looks like it can perform as well as the compucarve machine and cheaper.
$20 for the plans $70 for the material and parts $345 to $475 for the stepper motors and control board. Possibly cheaper depending on where you shop for em $159 for Mach III software
and a computer with a printer port
That's $594 to $724 depending on how elaborate you get with your stepper motors
That cost versus the almost $2000 for the Compucarve/Carveright system makes me say, I'll put in the sweat equity and shop around.
On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 11:47:41 -0500, Mark Blum