Craftsman Compucarver Machine

Page 1 of 4
Anyone have one? or used one. I am seeing it advertised on TV, but they are not in Sear's stores locally. Priced at $1900 and special order. Appreciate any views or information on this machine. Photos of carvings done look very ornate and are computer composed and driven. Thanks, Glenn
Thu, Jan 4, 2007, 10:21pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Elliott) doth query: Anyone have one? or used one. I am seeing it advertised on TV, <snip> any views <snip>
Yeah, I saw it on the tube too. Thought it was pretty neat. Then thought about it for a minute, and realized, about all it would be good for is mass producing pukey duck type stuff, the type they sell in the catalogs you get in the maik. That's the only real use I cn figure for one. What's the fun in that I ask? Can't afford one anyway, but I'd pass even if I did.
JOAT To listen is an effort, and just to hear is no merit. A duck hears also. - Igor Stravinsky
J T wrote:

I don't think it's going to mass produce anything. If you read reviews on it, while people love the thing, it takes a while to do some designs, 3-5 HOURS.

I wouldn't mind getting one but couple of things I'm concern about. One is reliability. Also the controller board may cost an arm and leg to replace few years down the road - don't know, just my guess. Could be obsolete in a few short years when new and improved operating system won't support the software routine.
# Fred # wrote:

As a software developer, let me say that this is highly unlikely. If the software is win32 based, it will be quite some time before that's not supported anymore, i'd guess in the 5 to 10 year range. If it's dotnet based (which is more likely) it will be around much longer.
brian

I bet you a lot of existing computers and devices that's running on XP now won't work when the new Vista OS comes out - just like switching from Win 98 to XP.
I also have more than a dozen of devices and systems (computers, graphics cards, xy-plotters, printers, digitizers, printers - you name it) that were orphaned every time a new OS comes out. From CPM to DOS, from DOS to Win 3.x, from Win3.x to Win98, from Win98 to WinXP and so on. Every upgrade means some device or system become unusable and I don't think the Compucarver is all that different.
# Fred # wrote:

The way the machine works is that your design is saved onto a ram drive, which then plugs into the machine. The machine is not directly hooked up to your PC.
XP has several mechanisms built in to run 16 bit apps. I've yet to have one work correctly. If your plotter doesn't work, it's because your plotter manufacturer abandoned writing drivers for it, not because XP is screwy.
nc is numerical control, cnc is computer numerical control, dnc is direct numerical control. Control may be the important word here. In practice, if a computer is involved it is likely that the part was "modeled" first by drawing it with a CAD or CAD/CAM program. even a standalone CAD program can model a part with vector graphics, and export it using a .dxf (hmm...), IGES or other file format, and imported into a post processor to create a G-code program. APT is standing at the m/cs control panel drawing by nimbers for a quick part. It may be considered cnc. Rarely would a program be written in G-code -it would be done in alphanumeric in a word processor and saved as MS DOS txt only format. Most operations use APT or model the part at the computer then upload to the machines CP using an RS-232-C interface. nc may not use code, not sure. Machines with a digital readout of positioning to correspond to manual input of slides may not be "control" at all. Not sure. DNC is when there is a central computer, where all of the codes and/or models which have been post-processed into codes, which is attached directly with cable/wire to a or many machines, are uploaded directly into the CP of the m/c. Threre may be some electronics in the control panel aspect that may stay at the pooter and/or in the CP of the *nc m/c adding to the definition.
-
Punch cards
-
bent wrote:

1800, 1700 for club members.
bent wrote:
| Rarely would a program be written in G-code.
Eh? I'd guess that depends on the operation. More than 95% of the part programs used in my shop are hand-coded (I hand code 100% of the g-code part programs).
how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood
-
yes, I guess it may be inverse in the ww field ,where not a lot isn't self-evident w/r/t features. Impossible with any 3D stuff. Not that there isn't 3D involved, but on a etch-a-sketch level. I bet one ornamental mantel "wing" in the compucarver is thousands of lines long, and probably not even know code if code is even available.
-
Sun, Jan 7, 2007, 4:56pm snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com (bent) wndered in and mumbled: yes, I guess it may be inverse in the ww field ,where not a lot isn't self-evident w/r/t features. Impossible with any 3D stuff. Not that there isn't 3D involved, but on a etch-a-sketch level. I bet one ornamental mantel "wing" in the compucarver is thousands of lines long, and probably not even know code if code is even available.
Well, because you reerenced etch-a-sketch, it's possible you're referring to the post I made. But, it's really impossible to say for sure, because you don't bother saying to whom, and what post, you're responding to. That's just plain rude.
If by some remote chance you actually were responding to my post, you assumed my post was very deep and meaningful - and responded with techno babble.
Nest time just try face value, don't try to read a lot into it. An etch-a-sketch is a pretty neat, but not really complex, toy; fun, but pretty much worthless for anything useful, besides amusement. My comment about the compucarver meant it's basically a fancy equivalent of an etch-a-sketch - that's it.
JOAT To listen is an effort, and just to hear is no merit. A duck hears also. - Igor Stravinsky
ok, so maybe you weren't blasting me for posting out of order specifically, but for something. In this thread, before this post, I had responded 17 times, 201 lines, 2294 words, 12 743 characters. Then, only because you decided to post after me, not because of me, did I find your post claiming that I was techno-babbling about something. Had it not been where it was and you had not reprinted the whole thing I wouldn't have any idea what was going on . Good. No idea. Check your dates. Or interrogations.
-
btw, if you want to point me to the relevant details on the correct syntax for posting. Particularly the part where it says date should be excluded....ah, shhh; you didn't say that.
-
This is a (hopefully last) response (by me, bent) to post made by by JT on 08/01/2007 8:19PM where he blasted me for making fun of him by using the similar words "etch-a-sketch", and bringing up the "why are you responding to me" problem. My ((2) etch a sketch comment(s) were made 07/01/2007 at 5PM +/-4 mins. Though on my computer, JTs "etch-a-sketch" comment, the original "etch-a-sketch" comment comes farther down this posts thread, it is nonetheless dated 06/01/2007 1:23PM, prior to both the offense noted and offense (alleged)
If everyone posted as I often post this would never happen. If you are pointing out something to someone immediately preceedeing, just make it known. Its a post-order thing, not an attack. If text is needed, I include it, otherwise I drop it. Most of the posts I have in here, though generally an addition to what I have said before, do not require an explanation.
Yet you acuse me of being rude:
Well, because you reerenced etch-a-sketch, it's possible you're referring to the post I made. But, it's really impossible to say for sure, because you don't bother saying to whom, and what post, you're responding to. That's just plain rude.
I'm not suggesting I'm just saying, if everyone were to use reply to group by highlighting the previous post in time, not the one a few up, or the one at the top, things would sort better, and things wouldn't be condfused with posts said at one time posted weay down in the sorting order. I am assuming you didn't receive an e-mail (if you did it is unintentional). While in the mean time, if I try to keep this clear,everyone is gonna blast me for criticising them!! It is space and time, it is not someones newsgroup to dictate you cannot post after someone, especially since NO IDEA. How am I come to make a comment about someone else making a comment about a comment I made about that same somewone. The reference to the offending words were made first, but appear last. The only way to make this work is for everyone to either never or always use the same posting proceedure. Which is the one thast makes sense? The one that uses order and date, or the one that uses date only? I actually don't know - i'm trying to figure it out. Anyone, can you help.
-
bent wrote:
| Anyone, can you help.
Some - keep the attribution of the post you're responding to and quote the particular portion of the post you're talking about.
(Even I can see now; overall) why this could/should/would help, it doesn't solve the problem, but what do you mean by attribution?: By name?: mentioning the immediately preeeding poster, or poster you are respondidng to. "To the group?"
I often think I am just giving info, don't even think about sentence structure, TWIMC ,and as previously stated is.... "about the topic"
QQQ What is attribution aww forget it
Overall I hope someone learned something, besides me.
-
Personally, I'm learning more and more about less and less uintil eventually I'll know everything about nothing.
Maybe I'm dyslexic savant. If I filter out everything others have to say, I'll have everything I need to know.
-