Craftsman a Bosch Router?

Page 2 of 3
My switch broke also. When I posted about it, a bunch of people said theirs had also. Apparently it is Bosch's weak point. I stuck mine in a table with it's own switch, and it has been fine ever since. The replacement is okay, but I use a handheld so rarely that it hasn't had much of a test.

My 15 year old Bosch 1611 had to be disassembled periodically to clean the switch out as it too would stop working properly.

Both of my 1617 and my 1613 have been good, I'll keep the fingers crossed.
Barry

The comparison is more like Dodge compared to Mercedes Benz. I still have no confidence in Dodge.
Ya true.. But I'd be more confident in the dodge versus the world famous Russian Lada. Remember those cars.
The whole point being. I'd be more confident with a tool that has some connection to a big manufacturer, than I would with a no name tool made by a company in the far east, being sold as an immitation Makita or DeWalt.
Looking at the manufacturers plate, can give you a good idea of where it came from. Doesn't mean it's a top of the line tool. But it's a good starting point when your considering the purchase.
Pat
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 01:28:30 GMT, "Leon"

I do not recall the Russian Lada being affiliated with Mercedes or Dodge.

Are you saying that if Hyundai introduced a line of tools you would be confident in buying that tool? Hyundai is or was at one time one of the largest manufacturers in the world. And by the same token, you should not be confident in Delta as some of thieir equipment is manufactured by a no name facility in the far east. To me the only confidence I have in a large manufacturing company is its reputation of any one given product that it manufactures and is known to be a good item and possibily its ability to supply repair parts. For me, there is only one tool that Skil manufactures that I would remotely consider purchasing and Skil being owned by Bosch would have absolutely no influence on that decision.

I guess some would consider it a good starting point if they knew nothing about that product and or its reputation.
I would certainly consider a Hyundai. Remember that it has a ten year guarantee. That is better than almost anyone else.
Dick

Not everything that Hyundai builds has a 10 year warranty, Automobiles is just one of the products that Hyundai builds.

One of the magazines just had an article about tool differences. They showed the internals of both a Skil and Bosch router. They were very apparant when you looked at the motor and bearing sizes. As for the Craftsman made by Bosch, you'd have to take them apart to be sure if they are the same. They may be, but it is a bit of a crap shoot. For $10, I'll take lkthe Bosch and be sure. For $40, I'd be tempted to go with the C'man.

Fine Woodworking's 2004 Tools and Shops edition.

The November 2004 issue of Wood reviewed "multi-base router kits" Both the Craftsman and Bosch were reviewed. The Bosch had the same model number you referenced but the Craftsman was 26620. Final spec's between the 2 were identical EXCEPT for: Craftsman had no dust collection provided for either base even as an accessory and its subbase opening was 1 3/4" versus 2 1/16" for the Bosch. As a plus the Craftsman had a "through-the table height adjuster" which the Bosch does not offer. The Bosch had above base dust collection,subbase centering cone,edge-guide dust collection,edge guide fence,guide bushings and a height-adjustment extension knob listed as accessories where as the Craftsman just had guide bushings listed. Prices listed for each: Bosch - 195 smackers versus 220 for Sears Per the outside inspection the 2 units were virtual twins except the bottom plate on the Bosch was black and Sears was clear.

Per the outside inspection the 2 units were virtual

ROTFLMAO..... did anyone doing the inspection also not notice that the Craftsman is RED vs. Blue on the Bosch?
Hey Leon speaking of routers, I seem to remember that you had purchased a Triton or were about to do so. If you have one how do you like it? Earl Creel

Thanks Leon, a Triton may show up under the Christmas tree for me. If one does arrive I will probably try to mount it in my existing router table. Am thinking I will get an Rousseau table insert or similar to mount it. What kind of an insert do you have if any? Earl Creel

I have a Bench Dog set up, the whole 9 yards. I use the Bench Dog plate that is the brown resin type, about 3/8" thick IIRC. Extremely rigid but easy to drill. Prior to that I had my older large Bosch hanging from the clear plastic plate. There are grooves worn in that plate. IIRC the one I am using now is suppose to be much tougher. For certain it is more rigid. I got that plate off of a close out table for $9.99 at WoodCraft. It was predrilled for various specific routers but not the Triton. I am however pretty good at drilling holes where they need to be. LOL
If you can get past the Ugly factor you should be happy with the Triton. It seems to have all the features you could want including an edge guide that appears to be well thought out although I have not used it yet.

I picked up that router kit from Amazon - $191 - this morning.

I have bought one of those kits a year ago and I'm really happy with it. The only thing is there is a lot of play in the fixed router base height adjustment. If you overshoot the height and want to lower the bit there are some idle turns before the other end of the cam grips in the other end of the notch in the router.
2 days ago, while I was in the middle of a large job, the router didn't fire up anymore. I changed the cord, but it wasn't a cable breach. I couldn't wait for the (in warranty) repair of a week, so I bought another, albeit refurbished, one. It's always nice to have more than one router, and 4 bases are also nice. One in the router table, one with an offset base, one with a woodrat, etc.
Too bad I had to pay considerable more that $191, being in Canada.
--
mare

Russ wrote:

Remember, Sears has everything built to sell for a certain price, not necessarily to meet longevity requirements. After all, they'll be there when you need another one. The commercial tool stores won't be open for you on a Sunday afternoon:-) Joe

They'll be there, but they might have a big red "K" over the door.
--
Hank Gillette