Craftsman 20" band saw any good?

There is a "craftman 20" bandsaw" for sale in my local paper for $175.00. I would like a big one to be able to do resawing. I currrently have a Delta 14", but it has a small motor and no riser kit. Do any of you have one like this or seen it. I am betting it's an import, and I worry about parts availabilty, and also if the thing is worth bringing home. Give me your thoughts before I visit and get the all excited about buying a new tool.
Thanks!
Most all consumer bandsaws are imports nowadays (including Delta) and though there are some differences between Taiwanese and mainland China quality controls and fit and finish, in general they do a good job for what they are intended to do. I would not worry about parts from Sears, as that is one of the main reasons to buy their products - their parts availability is and has always been simply without peer. I would call the seller and ask him how he feels about letting you take it for a test drive. If he is open to it (and I really cannot imagine him not being) take some oak over and try it out. Check the wheels, tires, bearings, guides, etc. for obvious problems. If there aren't any or they are minor you just might have yourself a new toy ...
ToolMiser wrote:

ToolMiser wrote:

Go look at it.
For 175 bucks if it's really a 20" bandsaw it would have to be in pretty bad shape to not be worthwhile. Even if it costs you a thousand bucks to fix it you're still money ahead.
20" is outside the range where you commonly encounter cheaply made consumer products.
I'd be willing to bet though that when you get there you'll find that it's not really a 20".
With Craftsman, unless it's so old (as in decades, not months) that they've run out of parts and can't get more, parts should not be an issue.

--
--John
On 26 Jul 2004 10:56:14 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (ToolMiser) wrote:

I have an 18" bandsaw made by parks in the (IIRC) late 60's for craftsman. it's a beast. here's what it looks like: http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id
if it's one of those for $175, buy it.
I called tonight and it was gone. It had been listed for over a week, and it took me this long to enquire. You snooze, you loose! I would be interested in a nice big unit if it is located in the Wisconsin area. Let me know if you have one to part with!
Thanks