Craftsman 12" Portable Planer

I have an old ( 5 -6 years) Craftsman Planer. One of the knives has a small nick that leaves a mark when used. I have a spare set of knives BUT a) I've never changed planer knives before and b) looking at the manual, it seems I must be a contortionist to get it correct.

Has anyone done this successfully and how?

Just in case I decide that I have more money than brains, what would be a decent planer to buy for a small home w/s - no production use. Must be easy to change blades .?

Thanx,

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron

If the blades are adjusted properly, then any nick that shows on the finished piece must be in all the blades. One quick fix is to slide one of the blades a little to one side so the nicks are not lined up.

I can't imagine buying a new planer is the best approach. I'd bet any decent tool repair shop could swap the old for new blades for a lot less than the price of a new planer if you can't get it done on your own.

BW

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I know! I know! - I was just grumbling. LOL

I'll take a shot at it on a day when I START out calm and relaxed.

Thanx,

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron