Craftsman 113.19771 radial arm saw question

Rebuilding an old saw that was given to me. Can someone provide me with sizes (LxWxH) for these pieces:
Rear table (PN: 63675) Spacer board (PN: 63429) Rip fence (PN: 63432) Front table (PN: 63674)
Thanks!
Russ wrote:

You might want to go over to <http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/index2.htm and plug in your model and serial numbers. The number you gave is one for which there is an upgrade kit available--that includes a new guard that is a significant improvement over the old one and a new table. No rip fence though. The recall is free, so you can't beat the price.
Unless you're trying to rebuild it to museum quality just take any sturdy board for the fence--the fence on a radial saw is disposable. I usually use a 1x2 or 1x3 or scrap of MDF, but sometimes use a heavier one if I need to attach hold-downs or some other kind of fixturing to it.
The dimensions of the new table are different from the original. I put a new table copied from the original on mine (I have the same model) before I became aware of the recall. The dimensions are 40 inches wide, with the rear table, spacer board, and front table 2, 8-3/4, and 19 inches deep give or take a fraction. If you need it to the nearest 16th I think I still have the original on the scrap pile somewhere, but it will likely take some digging to find all three pieces.
If you don't have the Jon Eakes book on tuning radial saws <http://www.wired-2-shop.com/joneakes/ProductDetail.asp?ProdID=3&nPrdImageID=&CatID=3 , it's worth the price, and if you don't have the Mr. Sawdust book <http://www.mrsawdust.com/index.php you should get that as well. The original table was 1" particle board, the new one is 1" MDF. The MDF is much more satisfactory. Mr. Sawdust tells how to make an improved table--you might want to read that before you start.

--
--John
Thanks, hadn't heard about the recall. Checked my model number, and called them. Absolutely no hassle, sending everything right out.

=&CatID=3>,
YMMV on this but - I had to call them, 3 times, 2 weeks between, each, to actually get this. Thay kept telling me they didn't have the order. And of couorse, trusting soul I am, I never wrote down any confirmation or person's name. Anyway - can't hurt to follow up on it - only cost is a phone call.
jim bailey

Jim Bailey wrote:

FWIW, I placed the order online using a nonstandard browser, the page crashed in the middle of the order, I said "to Hell with it" and was quite surprised a while later to find a big unexpected box on the doorstep.

--
--John
My mileage varied from yours. Rather than order on the web, I called the toll-free number on the website, spoke to a nice woman who told me the stuff would arrive in two separate boxes in about a week's time. It arrived in just 3 days. No problems whatsoever.

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 17:45:00 -0400, "Lee Gordon"

Did you have to give them a serial number?
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
LRod ...
<<Did you have to give them a serial number?>>
I can't recall for certain but I believe I did. I assume they maintain a database so that people don't keep sending in for free tabletops after chewing up the first set.
Lee

I just called the 800# (800-511-2628). Pretty painless. The lady asked for model & serial number. Then she got my name and address. That was it. I'll post a followup when the package arrives.
Thanks for all the responses.
Russ
Thanks for the detailed info, John. The part about the recall rocks! I'll definitely be calling them later today. Free saw + free upgrade kit. Can't beat that.
This is a new type of saw for me as I'm relatively new to woodworking. Will the re-sized table from the recall affect the measurements on the rip scale? Also, do you ever actually use the scales on the saw, or do you still prefer to measure & mark by hand and then visually line up the saw? I'm leaning towards the manual method, myself.
Thanks again.
Russ

=&CatID=3>,
Russ wrote:

Yes.
I don't think I've ever used the scales.

--
--John
On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 18:35:57 GMT, "Russ"

as it is.
skeez
Russ, I have the exact same saw. I ordered my recall kit online. The website worked great for me and the kit arrived pretty quickly. It was nice to get a whole new table, which I wasn't expecting. I had planned on buying my own lumber and building a new one anyway. I probably still will build a sacrificial surface.
The ripscale is affected. The reason for the new table top is that the new guard takes more space when returned to the home position. I plan to create my own offset indicator so that the scale will work properly.
As this type of saw is new to you, (me too), you might be interested in reading books about them. I highly recommend the "Radial Arm Saw Techniques" by Roger W. Cliffe. I also purchased "Magic of Your Radial Arm Saw" by De Christo, but don't really think it is worthwhile. Both of these books are out of print but can be obtained through Amazon Marketplace.
As John points out below, the Mr Sawdust book is highly recommended too. I plan to purchase that one soon. The Dewalt users group Radial Arm Saw Forum use it as their bible, it seems.
Good luck with the saw.
Eric
PS. One week after getting my Craftsman, I found a Delta/Rockwell 14" for $50 at a garage sale. I couldn't pass on it. It has a 3phase motor, but thats not that big of a deal.

Russ wrote:

All tables are 40 in long and 3/4 in thick.

    mahalo,     jo4hn
Thanks for the reply!