Crafters Needed

Page 3 of 3
I'm listening to this 'discussion', in the background.
While I've been 'stung' before, I'm still foolish enough to remain open minded.
Where is 'MetroEast' located ?
What particular products are you expecting, and what 'protection' does the 'crafter' have for a particular 'style' or unique design / product ?
Regards, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop
"Kevin Sawyer, General Manager" <Crafts Direct at MetroEast dot Net> wrote in message

it
MetroEast the St. Louis area East of the Mississippi River (about a 30 mile radius) in Illinois (about 4.5 hours South of Chicago). Unfortunately, that includes East St. Louis which is a wasteland. However, once you get about 10 miles East of the river you are back in very nice civilization...an area that is growing very rapidly. Nice neighborhoods, great schools, a growing but stable economy, high technology yet a very reasonable cost of living. If only it weren't so damned humid during the summer months! One of the best things about the Internet is that it really doesn't matter where I am. By the way, there are a LOT of craftspersons in this area.
I'm not sure I understand your question about "protection" for a particular design/product. Can you elaborate? Are you talking about copyrights and such? I guess I can see where that might be a concern. We could certainly structure the relationship legally so that I can't "steal" or otherwise leverage your ideas. Then again, anyone who buys one of your crafts can decide to try to duplicate it. That's inevitable. It is not, however, part of my interest here. I have no desire to try to sell ideas or to try to produce the crafts or hire someone to produce them. I want the real deal from the source.
As for having been stung...anyone who has ever been willing to trust and take a risk has been stung. I've been stung quite badly a few times, but I'm getting smarter! :-) I've learned to build trust through constructive interaction (communication) and by taking only small calculated risks at first.
As far as products go, so far I have quite an array of interesting crafts put together. Pottery, blown glass, quilts, jewelry.... I'm interested in almost any quality hand-crafted items. I'm sure it will take some experience to learn what sells best (and what doesn't sell at all)...and the best way to sell things. Like I've expressed before, I'm not looking to get rich quick here (or even to get rich off of this one venture). I'm already doing quite well but I'm looking for other fun and interesting ways to profit from my knowledge and experience.
I'm finding that there are a lot of crafts that people just crank out and sell or give away as gifts as the opportunities arise. I'm also finding that there are a lot of crafts that aren't even really started until someone has an order, either because they are extremely custom or just too expensive to do in hopes someone might want it someday. I'm interested in everything in between and finding ways to make it all work as well as it can.
Perhaps I'm dead wrong, but I've chosen to believe that there are people like myself as well as my friends and family who actually have good taste and value quality craftsmanship and especially truly unique crafts. Unfortunately I think that people like me are few and far between so if you must depend on geography to get them to you, you're in trouble. That's why I think the Internet is the perfect medium for this. If it is done correctly, the products are available to lovers of quality all over the nation, not just whoever happens to walk by your booth at the mall or craft fair.
--Kevin

the
start
of
family,
we've
would
"Kevin Sawyer, General Manager" wrote:
<unwanted drivel snipped>
Just hang up your continued verbiage. I, for one, am tired of it. Enough is enough from you. IMHO, you are speaking to a deaf house. Go elsewhere to find some who may be more sympathetic to your spiel - God help them.
Hoyt W.
Just hang up your continued verbiage. I, for one, am tired of it. Enough is enough from you. IMHO, you are speaking to a deaf house. Go elsewhere to find some who may be more sympathetic to your spiel - God help them.
Jeez. If you're going to read enough of the thread to get anoyed and post a 'directive' to someone to go away because no one is interested, at least read enough of the thread to see there apparently are some who are interested.
This thread isn't offensive, vulgar, or baiting, and now you obviously know what it's about, so if you don't want to read it, ignore it.
People who think they control usenet with arbitrary rules and who think they know what other people are looking for while ignoring the posted response indicating exactly the contrary are as bad as the trolls who do post offending, vulgar, or baiting threads.
You're just like the 'locals' who've been living here for 10 years or less who complain about the sound of firearms on Saturday morning, or about the dust when the farmers plough their fields, then who turn around and complain about the 'outsiders' who move here and want to change things.
Get a life and get over it!
Tillman
Did someone piss in your grits this morning?
--
Think thrice, measure twice and cut once.

Sanding is like paying taxes ... everyone has to do it, but it is
I thought they tasted funny... :-)
--Kevin

Kevin,
Just to set the archives straight and to avoid any misunderstandings, my response was directed at Hoyt, not yourself.
Good luck on your endeavours in life.
--
Think thrice, measure twice and cut once.

Sanding is like paying taxes ... everyone has to do it, but it is
Wed, Jun 16, 2004, 3:07pm (EDT-1) Crafts Direct at MetroEast dot Net (KevinSawyer,GeneralManager) claims: I don't expect for one moment that people will get excited and jump at the chance based on one simple posting to a newsgroup.
That statement could be mis-construed a bit. It wasn't "a" newsgroup, the posting was repeated on at least one other newsgroup.
I was hoping to start constructive discussions about my ideas and earn the trust and respect of the community with my candid responses.<snip>
Didn't see any candid responses to this. Apparently your e-mail doesn't work. http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/rec_crafts_metalworking/52660/1/ How about a constructive discussion on that?
JOAT Use your brain - it's the small things that count. - Bazooka Joe