Crafters Needed

Page 1 of 3
We are hand-picking American crafters (USA only please) who are willing and able to produce and ship their quality crafts in the USA. We are *not* looking for mass-production factories that crank out useless trinkets and widgets. If so, we'd just import from China and Taiwan. Instead we want only genuine, top-quality handcrafted items made right here in the USA. Here's how it works:
+ If you haven't already, make samples of your handcrafted items. + Take quality pictures of them. + Send us the pictures (mail, e-mail, or post online and e-mail the URL). + Send us a brief narrative about yourself, your crafts and your commitment to quality.
If we are interested in you and your crafts, we will follow up via e-mail and/or phone call so that we can get to know you better. If you are selected, then here's how it works:
+ We negotiate wholesale prices (what we'll pay you for your crafts). + We gather required information (turnaround time, photos, descriptions, dimensions, weight). + We add your crafts to our website(s) and promote sales. + We process secure retail orders from our customers. + We immediately forward a copy of the order to you including our official invoice to be shipped with the product. + You fulfill the orders (pack and ship with our invoice/label). + We pay you immediately (wire transfer) upon shipping confirmation.
The idea here is that you get to do what you do best -- quality crafts -- and we get to do what we do best -- online promotion, sales, order processing and related customer service. The only "business activities" you perform is checking for orders (daily) then packing and shipping. We can help you obtain the appropriate shipping materials. In some cases we may even provide them. There will be no paperwork to do except for printing our final invoice and the shipping label. Depending upon our relationship we may even decide to provide you with the resources required to generate the invoices and labels. We might even provide you with an entire PC, printer, and internet connection. We may even be willing to pre-pay for your crafts. These benefits are all negotiable once our relationship has been established. We'll do whatever it takes to ensure that 99% of your time is spent working on your crafts.
There's no catch. It's this simple. As long as you produce quality items and ship them in an acceptable time frame, we'll live happily ever after. You have absolutely nothing to lose. We both have everything to gain from doing what we are supposed to do and anything else we can think of to help each other. If either of us are less than satisfied for any reason, we simply terminate the relationship.
Please respond via e-mail and include your preferred e-mail address, phone number, best time to call you, and any information you are willing to provide about your crafts. Please reply to "Quality Crafts at MetroEast dot Net" (remove the quotes and spaces and replace words with the appropriate characters -- we've listed it this way to make it harder for spammers to pick up our address here in the newsgroups).
All aspects are open for discussion and therefore your thoughts and comments are always appreciated. Thank you for your time and consideration.
Kevin Sawyer, General Manager American Crafts Direct * Handcrafts Direct * USA Crafts Direct
PS - Feel free to forward this message to other crafters.
Hmmm.... Tried doing a search on all the company names he listed and found zilch....must be *very* new...
How about listing where your companies are located, telephone numbers, web site URL's, are they incorporated or just DBA's ?
Bob S.

comments

found zilch....must be *very* new.<<<
Hmmm again, could it be he would like pictures of your ideas so he could cash in on them. Think I'll Hmmm again.... RM
You are reading too much into it. He simply wants you to put 50 hours into something, and pay you $75 for it.
That was my first thought.

it.
CW wrote:

Don't be ridiculous, the $75 is retail, you get $37.50, unless he buys more than 1, and the bulk discount kicks in:-) Joe
So skeptical! I had no idea I'd be ruffling feathers here.
No, I don't want you to work your butt off for nothing. No, I don't want to "steal" your plans/ideas. I want to provide you with a way and means to profit from the sale of your crafts and I want to profit from providing the service. Win-win is the only thing that will work here.
If it takes you 50 hours to make something, hopefully it is something that people are willing to pay enough for so that you can afford to do it. If not, then you're better off doing it as a hobby and to make gifts for your friends and family.
I think there's a market for quality handcrafted items online. Some things will obviously sell best in a brick-and-mortar environment, but I'm sure there are *lots* of items that will sell online and at a much lower price.
If you want to develop your own online store that features only your crafts or pay someone to do it, then go right ahead. You can deal with the customers, pay for the hosting, pay for the maintenance of the pages and databases, have a merchant account and process credit cards (if you think people are going to mail you a check then you're missing the whole point of online shopping...quick and easy). Even then you won't make a dime unless you can drive traffic to the site. For the past six years or so I've watched businesses and individuals take a "field of dreams" approach and spend big bucks on putting up a web site in hopes that people would find it and buy their stuff. Many of them have used one of my companies for Internet services and hosting. We even built custom sites for a few of them but after that we were out of the loop and they were on their own to promote it and keep it up to date (few ever did so). It's just not a good model from my experience.
Please...let's keep this discussion going!
Kevin Sawyer, General Manager

it.
I don't need a middleman. Thank you
I guess you're already selling your crafts online and meeting and exceeding all of your expectations... Please point me to your site! :) OK, I'll stop being a smart-ass now...
I guess you could consider me a middleman, but you could just as easily consider me someone who wants to buy from you regularly and is willing to pay you according to whatever price you feel is fair. If it's too high, we won't be able to sell it and we'll both lose. The process really regulates itself quite naturally. We could just buy from you and have you ship to us and have that be the end of it as far as you're concerned. But, we have no desire to waste money on stock (warehousing) and additional shipping. Why ship it to us so that we can sit on it until it sells after which we ship it again? That's a great way to make money for the shipping companies. The added costs drive prices up and profits down. It makes a lot more sense for you to make them as they are needed (or shortly before) then drop-ship them to the end consumer.
If you think you can reach those consumers on your own and service them on your own, then you should already be doing it and you have absolutely nothing to gain from someone like me. People want to purchase from a very nice-looking, well-performing site with lots of different crafts (not just a few items from one craftsperson) where their satisfaction is guaranteed. They must be able to click "add to cart" and enter their credit card number on a secure page then wait a week or two for the product to arrive an live happily ever after. The number of these consumers is growing exponentially.
Kevin Sawyer, General Manager

"Kevin Sawyer, General Manager" <Crafts Direct at MetroEast dot Net> wrote:

You are making the erroneous assumption that there is some vast pool of woodworkers just dying to sell their stuff online. Price good handmade furniture and find out how many pieces a good craftsman can make in a year.
Incidentally, if you want people to hire your services as a salesman then you need to demonstrate that you can actually sell something. So far you're doing a piss-poor job of selling your service to _us_ so why would we believe that you could sell out product to anybody else?

So where is this "very nice-looking, well-performing site with lots of different crafts"? What do you offer that ebay doesn't?

--
--John
Thanks for your feedback. I'm not making any assumptions whatsoever. And not all woodworking is furniture. I'm not asking anyone to hire me. I'm asking them to sell to me. Perhaps you're confusing me with someone who is offering to promote products for a fee regardless of results. I'm trying to structure this so that I don't make money unless you do. That's basically the opposite of "hiring" someone to promote your products.
Kevin Sawyer, General Manager

"Kevin Sawyer, General Manager" <Crafts Direct at MetroEast dot Net> wrote in message

exceeding
Actually selling on line would probably push my work week beyond 40 hours. So far, work of mouth keeps me as busy as I want to be.
Snip

And again I'll say, I don't need a middleman. Thank you
People want to purchase from a very

number
Some may like that. So far none of my customers have required for me to have a web site to buy from me.
Yes, SOME may like that. Any why wouldn't you want your crafts to be available to them? Do you really think one of your current customers would ever say, "Gee, Leon, I really like your stuff, but you don't have a web site, so I'm not going to buy anything!" Of course not. The people who want to buy from a web site have absolutely no idea who you are and probably never will.
And again I'll say, if you're perfectly happy with how things are for you now and have no desire to sell more of your crafts, then I can't imagine why you would even bother to respond to me here.
I want to BUY from you so that I can SELL to people that you are not reaching now and will probably never reach (unless you are willing to do all that I am willing to do to reach them). It's a win-win any way you look at it... Unless increasing your sales by reaching a new segment of the market will make you unhappy for some reason.
--Kevin

"Kevin Sawyer, General Manager" wrote:
<snip>

<snip>
If that were really true I would have thought your original post would have read something like:
"Hi, I'm interested in purchasing hand crafted products to sell on my web site..."
but it didn't.
I thought it would be smart to give more details. I'm not willing to sell any old stuff. It has to be great stuff. I have to see pictures of it. I have to get to know the person who makes it and feel that they have gotten to know and understand me. Where did my original post throw you off?
--Kevin

have read

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 22:21:20 -0500, Kevin Sawyer, General Manager <> wrote:

Since you asked...for me, it was the slicky-boy sales pitch that did it.
Hmm... OK. I was just trying to be professional. I think I've been pretty "personable" since then...and now I have a much better feel for this group.

wrote:
sell
gotten
On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 23:17:11 -0500, Kevin Sawyer, General Manager <> wrote:

Well, that's why I'm still reading your posts, I suppose. If you had kept coming across like the guy selling knives at State Fair or something, it'd be different, y'know?
So you don't wanna buy my knives at the state fair this weekend then? Damn... Actually, they're made by a guy in KY and he'll drop-ship them directly to you.
:-D Just kidding! :-D

wrote:
pretty
group.
On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 11:18:43 -0500, Kevin Sawyer, General Manager <> wrote:

I'm just saying, the sales pitch came across the same way.
By the way, we didn't work together at one point, in the IT industry by any chance, did we?