Cradle problems?

Hi Guys,

Got the cradle plan SWMBO likes from furniture.com but have a minor problem. It calls for 3/8" mortises for all the 30 spindles plus a couple other parts. Don't have a mortiser so how do I drill square holds without one? Already talked to Santa with my list so that's out. Mentioned it to SWMBO but she just said, "You'll figure it out as you always do".

Soooo, I was looking at Grizzly's ShopFox G9976 Mortiser. Anyone have this and have any comments whether it's good or not? Don't want to spend too much cause we're saving for our retirement move to MT. Not sure I could convince her that it's a requirement for woodworking in MT. Then again, who knows?

Help Guys, Al in WA

Reply to
Al in WA soon MT

Drill it out with a 3/8" Forstner bit then clean it up with chisels. The first m & t project I had called for about 50 joints and that is what I did. . It is possible to use a router and square it or make rounded tenons.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If you wanted square holes make the rails in two pieces and in one piece, use your router to make slots and then glue the pieces together.

Of course if you do it that way you might need some more clamps...

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Drill them out with a fosner bit for a flat bottom then clean and square with a sharp chisel.

Hope your life like living in Mt. Better then mine did.

Reply to
MikeG

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 19:29:34 -0800, "Al in WA soon MT" calmly ranted:

Get a mortising chisel and let her hear you pounding on that for half a day. She'll OK the purchase in a heartbeat.

I haven't used it to its fullest yet, but I love my Shop Fox mortiser. Two thumbs up!

-- Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ---- --Unknown

Reply to
Larry Jaques