Cradle Plans

We have a first grandchild on the way and I want to make a cradle for him. I would like to find plans in AutoCAD (.dwg) format. Can anyone here point me in the right direction?
Thanks, Chuck

Well, you have some time to prepare and build.
If convenient, how about you make a doll cradle, first, though it may not be used for some time. Making a doll cradle would possibly help fine tune the full size cradle making and/or help find where modifcations, in design, might be necessary or applicable. Make your building mistakes(?) or modifications on the doll cradle, rather than on the baby's cradle. Sign and date the (both?) project(s).
Sonny
On 7/17/2012 8:03 AM, Chuck wrote:

would like to find plans in AutoCAD (.dwg) format. Can anyone here point me in the right direction?

I could be wrong here but is it likely to find cradle plans in Auto Cad format? Seems like an over kill program for such.
Familiar with Sketchup? Certainly there are 3D plans available in that format. If you know AutoCAD, Sketchup should be a relatively easy tool to learn.
FWIW I used AutoCAD for about 10 years, After switching to Sketchup about 3 years ago I have not looked back.
Take your pick, all free including the program.
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/search?q=cradle&styp=m&scoring=t&btnG=Search
On Tuesday, July 17, 2012 10:31:45 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

I use AutoCAD on my job and am very comfortable with it. I have messed around with Sketchup, but I am nowhere near as proficient with it as I am with AutoCAD. I haven't had good luck finding .dwg plans though so I may have to try these plans out in Sketchup.
On 7/17/2012 11:00 AM, Chuck wrote:

him. I would like to find plans in AutoCAD (.dwg) format. Can anyone here point me in the right direction?

with Sketchup, but I am nowhere near as proficient with it as I am with AutoCAD. I haven't had good luck finding .dwg plans though so I may have to try these plans out in Sketchup.

Push come to shove, down load the Sketch up Plan and use to redraw in AutoCAD, since you are are comfortable with it.
I go back to my old AutoCAD drawings often to redraw and or modify a design on Sketchup for a customer.
On 7/17/2012 9:03 AM, Chuck wrote:

I have built two of the Woodsmith cradles...
http://www.woodsmithstore.com/heirloomcradle.html
The first one, I bought the spindles in Cherry, The second one I had a good excuse to buy a lathe duplicator, and made the spindles from some logs that the parents had given me a while back.
They are very pretty cradles, and the easy knock-down feature makes them more storable as they await future grandkids, or the next generation.
On 7/17/2012 11:35 AM, Stuart Wheaton wrote:

I built about that exact cradle for my buddy about 30-35 years ago. I talked to him just last week and he told me he is giving the cradle to his 35 year old son that slept in (it probably a couple times) that is expecting his first child. I laughed at him for keeping it around all these years, through 7 moves, collecting dust. He laughed as well saying "it will now be his sons to keep around another 30 years... A cradle is one of those things that's seldom used, kids grow out of it in minutes, and is hard to store, but being made by a best friend/close relative, you can't just toss it out. I reckon his son will be less likely to hang on to it in case I ever visit, but it's nice to know something I made could aggravate people long after I'm gone:-)
--
Jack
On 7/24/2012 3:36 PM, Jack wrote:

The second one was mailed, and it all fit in a 20x30x7 inch box, makes it much easier to store an heirloom.