Cradle dowel spacing

I know this has come up in the past but never paid much attention. Now I have orders for a cradle for a Daughter that's due in June. Found several pics of plans but I have an aversion to using plans, I like to make my own. What I need to know is what space to use between the turned dowels (spindles) on the sides. I know this is a major factor for safety.
I did help a friend build a cradle for his first Granddaughter but it was solid sides. Came out beautiful with butternut and Honduras rosewood. Like I said, his first grandchild, this is my 25th. Yeah, twenty-fifth. So what if I'm old, love those kids.
I have a dozen pics of cradles and I'm hoping SWMBO insists on one that requires turning the spindles. Oh, I don't have a lathe honey, how can I make that???? Mmmmmm?
Thanks for any help guys, hope you all have a very Merry Christmas.
Al in WA

Try this, I didn't read it all. http://www.faqs.org/faqs/misc-kids/crib-safety-faq /
This was the first of many Google search results for "cradle safety"
I think Norm built a crib once and he said the spacing was such as a coke can would not slip in-between the spindles.
--

Roger Shoaf

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/202.pdf
All kinds of design criteria.

Thanks for the link...great publication
Al in WA soon MT wrote:

You might find <http:///edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2002/janqtr/pdf/16cfr1508.7.pdf> to behelpful.

--
--John
Al in WA soon MT wrote:

probably a good maximum. I was going to mention the bumper that USED to line the inside sides of the cradle/crib. LOML tells me that these are now out as baby equipment because baby can roll over against the bumper, get its little face in it, and smother. Seems like, since baby is now put on his/her back rather than tummy, that by the time it can roll over, it can roll back, especially in life threatening situations. But WTF do I know. Is that worse than banging its head on a hard side or spindle?
I know, I know. Siddown and shut up, jo4hn. Yer ugly.
    mope,     j4