CPOworkshop.com Experience

Page 8 of 8
Why not do what I did. I took 2 x 8 and put 2 of them under my drill press. I used lags to tie it to the runners. you could use wider 2 x 10 if you needed more stability. My 2x8 did the trick. The only thing I might add is a half lapped support that T out the back. But for me it wasn't necessary since it doesn't rock back.
On 1/3/2011 9:39 AM, Bill wrote:

tiredofspam wrote:

That seems alot like what Lee Michaels suggested, except he has the "frame" on the bottom and, if I understand correctly, any framing involved above would go on top of the "runners". It appears the design above may wobble if floor is not flat. Nice practical design though, and I like your idea of using 2by8's!
I like Lee's idea of a rectangular frame with overlapping joints as described earlier. How about spanning it across the top with 2by8's? Seems like it should perform better (sag less) than if 3/4" pine was used. Please advise about the type of screws to use for these 2by8's, bearing in mind that the (heavy) DP will be afixed to just two of them. Is pre-drilling necessary or desirable?
By the way, reaching a compromise, how about one extra support right through the center of the frame (where the drill press exerts most of it's weight). Or maybe a few more (more toward the center). That ought to postpone any sagging. My next concern would be the best way to afix such supports. Are angle brackets (or something similar) suitable? I hope this thing doesn't fall apart on me! ; ) Thank you all for a great lesson in construction this week! If you follow Jim Kramer on his Mad Money show at all, you could be saying, "You Know Nothing!!!"
Bill
chaniarts wrote:

---------------------------- Last time I checked, you have 7 days to report concealed damage to a common carrier.
Lew

I'd be putting it together right now if I was you. You can cover it with garbage bags or whatever when you paint. Get drillin' some stuff.
RP
I baught a DP that fell over & broke the table off for $5.00 at a flea market. Went to recycle yard with aluminum cans & spotted a 2' x 3' peice of steel 1 1/4 " thick. Bolted that sucker down & it aint ever gonna tip over again !! Was gonna bolt it down but no need to.
Jr